1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg svt-400T vs Ampeg PF 350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eolson, Nov 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Eolson

Eolson

Apr 4, 2011
    Sparta, WI
    Right now I have a SVTCL Tube head and I'm debating on switching over to something solid state. A local guys has a used SVT-400T for $200 but I was looking at getting a new PF-350, anyone know which would be the better choice?
    This would all run though SVT810E

Thanks,

Eric

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I personally would rather have the PF350. The 400T hasn't been made for years, which always gives me the willies when it comes to replacement parts.

3. I've had a chance to try a couple of the older Ampeg S.S. amps and wasn't at all impressed with either of them. At one point , I had a chance to A-B a 350 H against my old Peavey Mark 6. The Peavey won that one hands down and the 350 H didn't hold a candle to my SVT Classic.
    If you like the SVT ,the PF350 will come as close as anything to that sound. The PF 500 and the PF 800 are even closer. I would avoid the 400 T , the 350 H and 450 H series. Didn't like the sound I got from either of them. Also ,the B2R and the B4R are the same basic amp as the 350 H and the 450 H only in a rack mount set up. I also agree with Jimmy M (even though his brain may be a bit addled by the Florida heat , mosquitoes and the fact that he probably has had to climb a tree or two to escape alligator attacks ;)) about parts availability and repairs on the older Ampeg stuff.
    Disclaimer: I'm just another bass player that wears a hat on stage so you may want to completely ignore this post.

mattwear and AstroSonic like this.
  4. The PF-800, if you can financially swing it. To be honest though...I'm considering trading my PF-800 for an SVT-3 Pro. I like solid state, hybrids too, but I remain unconvinced with Ampeg's version of Class D.

5. I used a 400T for 15 years or so, and it worked and sounded great.
    I did replace the fan because it got loud. Pretty heavy amp but indestructible.

6. Eolson

Eolson

Apr 4, 2011
    Sparta, WI
    If I go for the PF-800, how much can the SVT810E handle, I could only run it on mono right? That's how I run it now, but if I'm putting 800watts though it - it has to be through both top and bottom speakers (groups of speakers 4 top and 4 on the bottom) at the same time right?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nope. You can run the 810e either way. The PF800 will see a 4 ohm load whether you run each half of the cab separately or together. And the 810e can handle 800w without farting out, and won't blow unless you hit it with 1200w.

8. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I would take a 400T that's still in decent shape, and gig the hell out of it. The PF-350 would be my backup.

old spice likes this.
  9. N
    Never underestimate an old mark 6 mine still surprises me and actually sounds better than my mark 8 no idea why :)

sharkbait130 likes this.