Ampeg SVT 400T???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by two fingers, Aug 8, 2009.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Any of you guys familiar with this amp? There's one for sale with a 4-10 cab and I think it's a good deal but I'm not at ALL familiar with it. In fact, I never heard of it. I was thinking of buying this as a practice rig (and use the head as a backup for my SVT6) but if it's known for problems I want to stay away from it. Thanks!

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It's just an old, not-very-impressive unit, 2x 200 or 1 x 400 watts.

Generally set up like a 4PRO but much less power and less features. No tubes. Has the old-style pull-switches for some functions, which you will want to be sure are OK, since you won't get a replacement if there is a bad one.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks Jerrold!

Edit to add:
    You are good to have around here!

4. basspro

basspro Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Las Vegas,NV
    I still have one l. It will work prefect for a practice amp or even a small gig.
    I've had mine up against my guitarist 5150 and still cut through in mono
    running at 4ohms.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The only problem with that is that the unit is rated for 8 ohms in mono !!!!

6. Erichr

Erichr

Sep 13, 2009
    My brother just found one of these in the attic of the apartment he moved into. It's nothing fancy, but still a decent amp.

7. Schecter4

Schecter4

Oct 20, 2007
    The Dalles, OR
    I had one for several years and got good service.

My only complaint was that it would need a new cooling fan every couple of years. I think the vibration killed them. It was a $20 part and only took an hour to install.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021