Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT 410 HLF to large?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Darell, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Darell

Darell

Mar 29, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I'm thinking of buying the Ampeg SVT 410HLF cab. But i think it will be to large maybe. It's much larger then a "normal" 4x10".
    What are you're experiences with moving the cab? Will it fit in a Ford Focus (station car) togheter with a guitar half-stack?
    What do u guys think?

2. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    I've seen it; it's big but not huge. I believe somebody in here has a picture of it next to a regular 4x10 on casters and they are approximately the same size. The slap in the face will come every time you have to lift that thing into the back of the Focus (it will fit, no problem) and realize it weighs in at more than 100lbs. It has those tilt back casters which work well enough on nice smooth tile floors, but are difficult (sometimes useless) on less than ideal surfaces (stairs, parking lots, curbs, etc...). I too like the sound of the 410HLF, but I realized something a couple weeks ago when I was playing around with one in the store. If you play through the Ampeg 410 HE (the regular sealed 410) and boost the bass on the amp, it is nearly the same sound. It weighs less, so that will be nice. Also, I think it comes with casters (I know the 15 does, so I am assuming the 410 does as well). The 410 HLF creates some more sound than the regular 410, but with the right head, it shouldn't be a huge deal. Go out and play with some 410s and see how many can give you a sound you want. The 410HLF really just adds an almost muddy/boomy bottom end which is probably useless in a badn or live setting. However, if you really like the sound you get from it, who am I to tell you not to get it. It's heavy, but there are some guys who would lift anything for the right tone. Well, to answer a short question with a long reply, the cabinet will fit in the focus, but will be heavy. Hope you find the tone you want.
    Mike

3. it is larger, but it does come with rear mounted wheels and a bar to help move it. that makes it a little larger. i think it would fit with another cabinet in the focus wagon... you might have to stack them on their sides though.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have one. I get a lot of compliments on my tone (I also run my B2R head direct to the PA and normally use a stock Fender Precision - no effects). I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it. The way others have described how it is to move, with only the two wheels on the back - it's really awful. It's always off balance. It would have been SO much nicer with just 4 regular castors, so again, it is a *real* pain to move/fight this cab. Up and down tight stair cases...well, there goes all your energy for *playing* that night. The other thing I don't like about it is that it's a 4-ohm cabinet. When you're first starting out like me - I found out that with my head, the Ampeg B2R, I wanted to add a 1X15, but I couldn't because the cabs I was looking at were all 8-ohm, so the impedance would have been too low for the head - so it can be a "gotcha" unless you have the right head. As far as the sound - I do like it - but it does lack just a little something. Maybe it's definition, maybe it's the head I'm using, but I would say it is a little muddy. I *am* getting a Hartke 7000, so I'll be trying this SVT-410 with the Hartke (350 watts per side), and one Hartke 1X15 XL cab. But, I'm also getting a Hartke 4X10 XL cab as well. This way I can try both of the Hartke cabs (both are 8 ohm) with my B2R, and also I can try the SVT-410-HLF either by itself, or with the Hartke 1X15 cab and the 7000 head. I figure I will come up with a good combination and then sell what I don't end up using. If I could do it over again I would have definitely bought the other Ampeg 8 ohm 4X10 cab (can't remember the exact model number), or just some other "normal" shaped 4X10 cabinet - hopefully with 4 regular castors. It will fit into your car, but you said you have another half stack that has to go in as well? I guess I wouldn't know if *any* 4X10 cab would fit in with another half stack - I'm not real familiar with your car, but that's quite a bit to put into a small wagon. I guess you can alway just try it. And if you really like the sound you are getting, believe me, you will *find* a way to get it around, and you will *deal* with how it's hard to move.

Skel

5. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    I own two SVT 410HLF's. They are very good, and I've toured around the world with them for the past four years, playing everything from arenas to festivals to clubs. I've run one of them alongside an SVT 810 and an SVT 18E occasionally as well, but right now I'm very happy with the sound of two of them together stacked on their sides. It's like a boot in your chest, and with that elusive midrange character that helps one sit in a stage mix just right. I wouldn't necessarily recommend them to fusion/slap guys, or people playing lower volume situations; their tone tends to be fully realized at medium to high volume, and I tend to get a hell of a lot of complements on them. They also eat a lot of watts, since they're not very sensitive. I've run them with either two SVT4-Pros bridged, or right now with either a Sans Amp RBI/SVP-Pro into a QSC PLX-3402, or a Mesa Big Block. One of them alone also sounds good and shockingly loud with a Walkabout head. They may not be pretty sounding for bedroom players or in the store, but contextually, I've found little to compare them to, IF you are looking for an impactful sound that isn't particularly polite or refined. They are a just a taste boomy (which can be EQ'ed out), but I always find that satisfying, just that bit of "mud" on the bottom to keep the bass honest and not sounding like it's going through a DI box into a studio monitor. :)

Oh and yes: they are a bit of a bummer to move around, but mine are in cases so it makes it easier...I agree: four casters on the bottom probably would have been a better design than the tilt back design, with which you have to bend over uncomfortably if you're tall like me and trying to wheel them around.

Best,
    JMJ

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    jmjbassplayer, not to step on this guy's thread, but it's nice to hear somebody who knows a lot more than me likes these cabs. So, in your opinion, do you think mine will sound better with this Hartke 7000 head? Also, I really didn't want to start mixing brands up, and for some reason I'm kind of partial to Ampeg - kind of wish I would have tried a more powerful Ampeg head, but I've already bought (but not yet received) this Hartke 7000 head (for $400). This head is biamped and also has both tube and ss preamps. I've never owned a head like this, so do you have to "tell it" what frequencies you want going to the 4X10, and what frequencies you want going to the 1X15? Or is it just automatic, or even more, is it simply having two amps built into one box, so you are running each cab (or side) individually with its own amp?

I really don't know if Hartke is an optimal brand or anything, but I figure if all they do is bass amps, they must be, at least pretty good. Also, your opinions about using the 7000 head with the SVT-410-HLF on one side, and either one, or two Hartke 1X15 XL cabs on the other side would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Skel

7. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Hmmm...not sure about the Hartke because I've never tried it. I'd hate to give an opinion. And with the 410, it's reasonably full range so I wouldn't bi-amp it at all. Just run it full bore, same with a 1x15. Don't worry so much about mixing up brands. If the head is good, it'll make the cab sound fine.

Best,
    JMJ

8. Darell

Darell

Mar 29, 2005
    The Netherlands
    So what ur guys are saying is that I better can buy the 410HE? Will it be loud enough as a stand-alone? I use a Trace Elliot AH300-12SMX amp.
    I really dig the sound of the 410HLF, but if you can get almost the same sound out of the 410HE, I will buy that cab I think. Moving the 410HLF around is, what you guys say, a real pain. So for that I prefer the 410HE.

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    jmjbassplayer - I assume you mean don't worry about cross-over - just run the full frequency range to the cab, and same with the 1X15 cab. I think this head will be "ok". It only has 1 12AX7 in the "tube" preamp section, but even 1 tube will sound "ok". I noticed your SVT4 has 3, and I'm sure that makes a difference, plus your head is more powerful. And to think that you bridge 2 of them together? That is some serious power! I'd like to hear what that sounds like with 2 of the SVT-410-HLF's. I have heard some people say that the 410-HLF sounds better than the 8X10 cab. What bass do you normall use? I just got one of those SX jazz bases everybody is talking about - never owned a jazz bass, but using just the neck pickup - this thing sounds like somebody took a RIC 4003 and blended it with a precision. The sound is fantastic (of course this is in my basement with my BA115 practice amp - what a great sounding practice amp...I LOVE Ampeg!). This $99 dollar bass gives my RIC 4003, and my Stingray both a serious run for their money. I just had to go ahead and order the '57 precision sunburst SX w/maple fretboard as well - for $109 bucks - I just had to.

Skel

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Darell - I have never heard the SVT-410HE, but I think it will be a fantastic sounding cabinet and much easier to move around. It may not be quite as full range as the SVT-410HLF, but I don't think you'll notice it. The HE *is* an SVT cabinet...it will kick ass.

Skel

11. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I have an SVT-610HLF that fits in my focus hatchback without a problem. I can't imagine that a 4x10 in a wagon would cause any issues whatsoever.

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    jmjbassplayer - Even though I just bought a Hartke 7000 on eBay, and I haven't even received it yet, I just wasn't comfortable with the idea. So today, I bought an SVT-4 PRO on eBay, factory sealed for $950.00 - free shipping. For some reason, I just feel so good about this. I can't wait to try it with my SVT-410HLF cab. I just love Ampeg - that's just my thing.

So - I'll just sell the Hartke 7000 and the 1X15 XL cab, and move on.

Skel

13. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I just sold my Ampeg Pro Series "Batmobile" 410 cabinet. My band is moving into a smaller practice/rehersal/storage space and I had to sell off a few things. My cabinet wasn't the HLF version with the ports on the front, mine had them on the back and it was a touch smaller cabinet. It sounded very good with nice bass and lots of output but it was heavy to move around. Mine had pop out casters on the bottom too which was pretty useful on a smooth surface. Loading that thing into the trailer at 2:30AM wasn't a job for the meek, but is playing rock and roll ever a job for the meek?

14. 'nuff said.

15. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    JMJ,

I'm curious because the tone you describe is the same tone I'm after--not transient and 'hi-fi' but warm with a little low dirt for body etc. etc. I currently use an Ampeg 8x10 and I tried an Ampeg 610 cab, but with the horn I couldn't dial in an old skool 'low-fi' tone.

My question is does the horn in the 410-hlf keep you from getting a rootsy tone? For some reason I couldn't get my tone out of the AMpeg 610 and I blame the horn. I guess cabs with horns (even ones you can turn off) make me nervous. let me know what you think as i'd like to get a smaller rig.

16. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    The difference between the HLF and HE is very noticeable IMO. The hlf has much more bottom end, sometimes it feels like too much. YMMV.

17. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    My input... I think the 410HLF sounds more like the old school 810 cab. The 610 for some reason sounds modern, even with the horn off. I run my 410HLF with the horn off, never ever turn it on.

I've used the 410HE a few times, and it just sounds small... not bad, but small. I could never get the big bottom Ampeg sound I wanted out of it.

And whoever said it was right... the tilt thing doesn't work if you're a tall person. It's great if you don't have to bend over to tilt it, but tall guys are better off with casters under it.

18. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    thanks brothernewt--way to represent PDX! good to know that i wasn't the only one to experience the hi-fi thing with the 610 horn turned OFF. now i'm more interested in the 410... :eyebrow:

19. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yes, tilting it back is a pain, but then again so is carrying it up/ down narrow starways by yourself. In my last band, I would usually give one of my guitarists a ride home, and stop by my house first, so he could help me unload all the gear that I got stuck with taking back to my house.

20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i've used them. they sound awesome. i have a 610hlf. that fits easily in the back of my station wagon and i dont even need to drop the back seats down. so i'd say you are good to go.

recently i have seen them going pretty cheap. if i found one, i would defintely buy it jus for home use.