1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT-410HE Bass Cabinet (500 Watts, 4x10") 8 OHMS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ram flowers, Jun 1, 2018.

1. ram flowers

ram flowers

May 31, 2018
    Shelton, Wa
    Again I am new to all this and trying to learn. If I buy the above mentioned cabinet and connect it to a GK BACKLINE 300 watt AMP Head rated at 300 watts at 4 ohms will I get at least 250 watts out of the cabinet or will I get only 180 watts.

2. You'll get whatever the GK puts out at 8ohms.

3. ram flowers

ram flowers

May 31, 2018
    Shelton, Wa
    Thanks for the reply but, the math confuses me. If I get what you are saying I will only get about half of the wattage that the GK 300 watt head puts out around I.E. 150. Am I correct

4. It'll be closer to 150 than 250. I don't know the exact figure. One of my amps is 450w at 4ohms and 250 at 8ohms if that's any indication.

5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    It sounds like you actually have a Backline 600, which is rated at 300 watts @4 ohms. You'll get about 1/2 that power @8 ohms.

I'm not sure the math is that hard. You get roughly the same peak voltage from the amp just before clipping with either load.

Since P = E^2 / R, doubling the R (ohms) will halve the P (power) if E (voltage) stays the same. The reason you will get a little more than 1/2 power at 8 ohms is that the power supply doesn't sag as much with the 8 ohm load.

DeliriumTremens likes this.
  6. Your amp will put out somewhere between 150 and 180 watts with an 8 ohm speaker. You would be hard pressed to notice a difference in volume if you used just one 4 ohm speaker cab instead of the 8 ohm cab. If you needed more volume , you would notice a much bigger difference if you added another 8 ohm cab. This would not only give you full power at 4 ohms , the added speakers would move a lot more air hence the bigger volume. This would also give you more versatility by having two options for your speaker set up. With just one 4 ohm cab , you would not be able to add another 4 ohm cab as this would result in a 2 ohm load which is a BAD thing for a 4 ohm rated amp. You will get more volume by adding a second cab than by just using one 4 ohm cab.
    I've played many gigs where 180 watts were plenty. I don't think I have ever played at a rehearsal where 180 watts weren't enough. I have never played a gig where 300 watts through 8 10's weren't enough. Hope this helps.

7. ram flowers

ram flowers

May 31, 2018
    Shelton, Wa
    Thanks for all the support. I am starting to understand all this ohms stuff although I will probably be asking additional questions. Thanks again to all who helped.

8. ram flowers

ram flowers

May 31, 2018
    Shelton, Wa
    Thanks Sharkbait130 after careful consideration and further reading what you state makes a lot of sense. The 8 ohms sounds like the best bet.