Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-410HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott D, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey guys, I have been offered one of these for a very decent price. How are these things? I've played them along time ago, and i don't exactly remember what they were like. I know that they don't have thunderous lows, and i don't need them. I just need the cab for mids and highs. I have a 2x15 for lows. I know i dig the ampeg sound, about right now my rig is almost all-ampeg. Do these distort with low notes? Can they do fine on their own for smaller gigs? Can they handle a Low-B?

Thanks alot,
    Scott D

2. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    From what I hear about them they are the don't leave home without one cab.

That is if you are carting around ampeg.

The ones I have heard got punch.

tk

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Interesting that you should ask us...the 410HE is basically the top half of your 1540 cabinet. How does that sound for what you're doing?

User reviews can be found at www.harmonycentral.com (in the guitar amp section) and on www.bgra.net

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was thinking that, but it's in a larger box, and may respond differently.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Are the compartments for the 10s in the 1540 bigger than those in the 410HE? The 1540 cabinet is internally divided with the 15 in a ported box and pairs of 10s in sealed sub-enclosures (just like the 8x10). The 410HE is divided internally too.

The review of the 410HE in the Sept. 1995 Bass Player describes it as having "Balanced, ballsy tone that cuts" and says that it has "8x10 rumble in a half-size package".

Other easy to quantify;) comments include "Lots of clarity and focused lows." "Sucks a bit of the mids out." and "Very Ampeg."

6. when i'm not playing i do sound for a few local bands.in one of them the bass player has this cab and it sounds real good w/ his 64 jazz bass and g/k amp. (and i'm not a fan of solid state amps) the low end is good enough to use this cab alone.( w/ no power handling problems) sometimes he adds a matching ampeg ported 2x10 w/ a horn and that will fill any venue. i wouldn't think twice about getting this cab...

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, thanks alot billy. I'm not totally sure if both cabs are seperate. Oh, i saw another 1540 for sale and i thought of your suggestion...

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Alright, here we go-
    If i get that Bass 350, I should run 4 SVT-1540's. That would be INSANE. 16x10, 4x15. Boom.

Peace,
    Scott D.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Nah...I'd skip the 350 for that rig and run a SVP-PRO and two QSC PLX3402s after I packed my ears full of ear plugs and put on a couple pair of depends:D

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

10. I use the 410HE and I like the sound, but lately I been thinking that ported would be better. It is not a problem with the amp so much as it is my desire for a sound that I think would come from a ported cab. If you like the classic Ampeg sound (ironic?- NOT), then you can't go wrong!