1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kgoodrich, Mar 11, 2008.

1. I'm looking to purchase one of these to go with the peavey tour 450 head i'm looking at buying and i'm still kinda wondering if this is a good idea.

Specs are
    LF Drivers: 4 x 10”
    Voice Coil: 2”
    Magnet Weight (each): 30 oz
    HF Drivers: Horn/Driver
    Voice Coil: 1”
    Magnet Weight (each): 8 oz
    RMS Power Handling: 500-Watts
    Frequency Response (-3dB): 48Hz-18kHz
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 28Hz
    Nominal Impedance: 4-Ohms
    Sensitivity: 98dB
    Maximum SPL: 125dB
    Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 24 x 30 x 19
    Weight: 110 Pounds

now it says that the nominal impedance is 4 ohms does that mean that it will always run at 4 ohms?

the peavey will only run with 4 ohms so i want to make sure this will work.

sorry for the stupid question.

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Impedance varies with frequency, which is why cabinets are measured in "nominal impedance."

3. thanks for the quick response.

4. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    If you have the extra cash, go with the 610... It's a little easier to move around (unless you have a really small car)

5. anyone pair this cab with that peavey head?

just wondering how good it sounds with 5-stringers

6. 410-699

610-949

there's a 300 dollar difference.

even then

610-949
    810-999

that's a 50 dollar difference

7. I only own the 410hlf and a/b'd the others, so I could stand corrected. Here's my take from all the reviews I've read with my experience thrown-in:

svt410hlf: Seemingly the lowest freq. response due to cab design-deep; great for B string.

svt610hlf: Apparently a good compromise between 410hlf and 810e and still good for low B. Some say that the upper 410 is baffled or partially sealed and the lower 2 drivers have bigger magnets/directly ported but am not sure(?).

svt810e : Questionable for Low B however I've read that there is 'faux' or 'percieved' good low-end response due to shear quantity of speakers... .

If I could justify it (maybe one day) I'd like to have all three:ninja:

There are experts here that could confirm or deny......

Jimbob

8. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    OP didn't say if he was buying used or not... I should have pointed out....

Typically, they will all (410, 610, 810) run within a $100 or so on the used market.

Definitely the way to go....

9. well i'm OP so I can easily tell you that I've yet to look at the used market as I was merely talking new.

10. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    I have the 410hlf and have used it with an ampeg b2re and an old peavey markIV bass head and it is great. You could probably plug your bass into toaster and then into the cab and it will sound awesome..Unfortunately it is a freakin monster to carry around.

11. Really? Mine's not that bad, except that you almost have to bend over to roll it. I can pick it up by myself no problem. I don't have to load it into the back of a car, tho.

12. rxbandit79

rxbandit79

Feb 20, 2008
    Tempe

Just because it is only a $50 difference for 2 more speakers, doesn't mean its better for your rig. Just throwing it out there...
    The 610 is ported and has a horn/driver - this the 810 does not have... thus the closeness in price...

you spend $50 more for 2 speakers but lose the horn/driver and ports...
    Also depends on what head you will run through it. I dont think the SVT-CL and SVT-VR support the horn