Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-410HLF vs. Aguilar GS212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Apr 12, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey guys I am flirting with trading in my Ampeg on the Aguilar but not sure yet. I havent had a chance to play on an Aguilar at all yet so Im not sure of their sonic properties/characteristics.

For those that have played the Ampeg SVT-410HLF like mine how do they differ. I was told that the Aguilar will be louder because of the higher efficiency (even though it is 2 less speakers). What about lows, mids, high's, etc?

Oh just as an FYI as well the amp is a QSC 1850HD and the preamp is a BBE BMax.

2. i really prefer the aguilar sound. it is as muddy as the ampeg on some levels, but overall youd really have to hear it to make a decision. i would take it over the ampeg any day.

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    One of my biggest complaints about the Ampeg is that it is too 'boomy' if that makes any sense. I want something a bit tighter. Will the Aggie help on this?

4. Thain

Thain

Dec 27, 2003
    Finland
    My suggestion would be to try both cabinets with your bass and amp gear, preferably side by side and then make a decision based on what you hear.

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    yeah the problem is Im having trouble finding a GS212 local in my area. So I might have to go by input by members here. Im not worried about the quality of the product just more the different 'coloration' of tone between the two

6. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I have owned a GS212. A new GS212 cab will cost you about $600. I prefer a pair of GS112's over the GS212 any day! You can find a mint pair of GS112's on TB almost once a month for about $600. I sold the GS212 and kept the pair of GS112's. I then bought a Berg 322. I still have the Berg. I only use it for big gigs. I prefer the sound from the pair of GS112's over the GS212 and Berg 322 for about 95% of the gigs I do. The rest, the Berg gets used. I would also reccomend the pair of 112's over the 212 for portability reasons. Buy what you want. That's just my .02.

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    g4string: what are the main sonic differences between (2) GS 112's and a GS212? What kind of music do you play in your gigs?

Im not worried about my amp or preamp..just the cab really. But thanks for the heads up

8. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Woops, I posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry!

The main difference was I thought the GS212 sounded thin. I feel that there is more "umph" when using a pair of 112's. The 212 and 112 pair had the approximately the same high end response while the 212 had a little bit more mid response. I also feel that a pair of 112's can handle the low "B" a lot better than the 212 ever did. Also portability is an issue for me. It is a lot easier to haul around 2 small cabs than 1 large one.

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    He's got it on the mark. I tried out both in the store and ended up getting two sets of GS112's. They are a lot easier to come by on the used market and will most likely be cheaper to ship. However, I don't know that for a fact.
    But back to your original question, I recently started playing with a new band that originally had a Ampeg 410HLF supplied at the rehersal space that I went to. So I just brought my head and played through that. The existing bassist soon took that home after the first two practices that I went to, so I brought up my GS112 pair. Everyone in the band noticed the change in warmth most of all. I mean, you have two tweeters so you have a little bit more high end bite to it, however I feel like the 12's gave a bit more full sound. Boomy? I think both of them are a bit boomy. But I think for portability sake and overall sound sake, the aggies are the way to go. The Ampeg sounded more plain to me, while the aguilar sounded much more rich. But it wasn't just me, the rest of the band commented on how they liked the sound. So that's my story. Hope that helps out.

10. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    NTM that if you ever have an ultra quit coffee house gig, quit low key rehersal, or something else to that effect, you can just bring one. You dont have to worry about bringing a huge cab and freaking out the coffee house owner when you stroll in with full blown SVT rig. :D I can see how some might say these cabs sre a bit boomy. I use a Demeter HBP-1. This preamp has a parametric EQ onbaord. If I have time and feel like messing around with the EQ, I can dial out the extra boominess. For the most part, I like the extra boominess. When I am plaing a gig with out a full FOH PA system, I think their boominess adds to the warmth. I have never disliked the sound of these cabs. I have often found that a lot of bass cabs sounded thin and sterile to me. I found myself wishing that they were boomier. The GS112 pair replaced my SWR Goliath Jr 2x10 and SWR SOB 1x15 (just to give you an idea of what a pair of GS112's can replace).

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ditto

12. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I will have to look more into this

13. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Have anyone of you guys tried a pair of gs112s or a gs212 with a Mesa Walkabout? Im competing against a Mashall 1/2 stack in one band and a Fender twin(?) in the other. So Im curious if this will hold its own up on stage. This is the setup i was looking to try out. I just have to go to the city sometime soon cause there is noone in Northern NJ that carries Aguilar. Tired of not having the lead singer help out....we all know that feeling.