1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Svt-410HLF VS. BSE-410HLF?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ibanez55, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    I have the opportunity this weekend only to upgrade from my BSE-410HLF to a SVT-410HLF due to a huge sale at my local music store. My question is which cab is better. Im interseted in the SVT because of its slightly higher power handling and the rants and raves i hear about it on here. Also because of its extremely low frequency response for drop tuning. What should i do.

2. carlosd74

carlosd74

Feb 24, 2007
    Philly
    I have the SVT cab and I am very happy with it. I am running a Hartke 3500HA through it (350W @4ohm). You will not need another cab unless you decide on getting the 8x10 Fridge. Definitely no need for a 15". The 3 ports in the bottom/front are basically your subwoofers. I have never needed to turn the tweeter past 12:00. I play passive Fender Jazz (MIA) and Precision (MIM). What's nice is that hey are true bass speakers and not the musical drivers that so many "bass" closure manufactureres are using. **** even SWR is using these cheap cones.

3. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Will the store let you run the SVT through its paces before you decide? See if they will, maybe you won't care for it when you hear it. BTW I love my SVT, but I can't compare it to a BSE, as I've never had the chance to hear or try one.

4. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    Thanks for the advice guys im not going to be able to try it thoguh seeing there are only 2 left in there store[its a chain] and those area t different stores so ill have to order it in.

Does the SVT have good clarity and low end by the way?

5. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    What is Ampegs intention with offering the B-line 410 cabs as well as the SVT 410. Other than a slight price difference did they design it with an intended tone difference ?

6. B-Lines are now made in China and always had lower quality features. The SVT line I believe uses the 50oz+ magnets on speakers and the B-Line uses 30oz+ magnets. Which means better speaker throw and bass response. The SVT will put out more sound but you WILL need 500 watts at 4Ohm to get a good response from the cab.

I have owned both. The B-Line was boomy without definition. The SVT 410HLF was boomy, with definition and loud. I used a 5 string music man and it handled it well, but not if it's under powered.

7. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    thanks fenderhurtz that helped

8. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    anyone else

9. Have them order it in, take YOUR bass in to put it through the paces.

If you like it after that, than id buy it, sales are always fun:hyper:

If you dont like it than im sure its no big deal considering its a chain, the stores I have delt with usually werent too bad about not buying after bringing it in from another store.

I have an SVT 410HLF, and I love it. It sounds good at any volume, and really cuts through the mix.

10. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I love my SVT HLF, and yes, the frequency response is amazing on it - the best you can get without shelling out for the Pro 410. It has a fairly convenient size as well. Try to stay away from the B-Series speaker cabinets, guaranteed crap resale.

11. I have owned the Pro410HLF as well. The Classic has better tone IMO. I don't know if it's the cab shape or that duron crap they spray on the outside of it but I couldn't get any mids to save my life.

To fix my above post. The SVT have 30oz magnets and the B-lines have 22oz in the 4x10 cabs

12. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    wow guys thanks for all the info it's very helpfull just one last question. Can it get good mids in their too?

Thanks

13. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    no one has anymore info?

14. Feel free to kill me for bumping this , but I'm facing the same dilemma.
    Anyone compared the BSE and the SVT side by side? I'd have a decent deal to get the BSE, but I wouldn't like to rush it.
    Help!

15. I can't comment on the bse, but the Ampeg Hlf is voiced a lot different than the he or 810 cabs. Some love the sound, others do not, it's apples and oranges, it's just what you like.

I have a heritage 410 hlf, a svt 810 cab, and used a backline last night that had a 410 he cab provided. In my opinion the 810 and he cabs are voiced very much alike, puchy and tight, but drop off anything lower than a standard tuned e string. I'm not saying the cabs don't sound good with the lower notes (I play 5 strings for the majority of my shows). They just don't carry the lows like the hlf cab will.

The Hlf cab will go lower and louder than most production 410 cabs will, but are voiced a little scooped, and on a flat amp will be a little light on mids. At this setting if you play with a pick you will be in heaven.

The mids are easily coaxed out of this cab if you understand frequencies. I generally recommend rolling off the lows, bumping the midrange until you like or find the midrange sound you want, and then rolling the lows back in to blend. This works for me everytime.

The Hlf is ported and not as tight as the he, but it can thump low. I love it's sound. You can fart the cab out with too much power, so listen to what the cab is telling you. Follow this recommendations, and there is no reason it won't last you a lifetime. Ampeg gear is absolutely bulletproof for the most part (sans portaflex amps, cough cough) and I highly recommend it if you play regularly and reliability is held at a premium.

The Hlf would do fine for a band tuning down. It should be able to handle most of the lows far better than most other mass produced cabs.

16. I'd like to use the full power of my amp, which is rated at 4 ohms. Would definitely get a 810e but it's too big to fit in my car, and maybe it's a bit pricey as well. A 410 rated at 4 ohms would be the best choice for me. HLF be it then. They (the SVTs) usually go for 500-600 used here, but a BSE HLF popped up for 450, and I could have someone to pick it up for me.

But I'm not sure if it's worth it. The cab is 10 years old.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021