1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-450 with 2 x Yamaha BBT 410 S

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mdlewis, Jun 27, 2012.

1. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Looking for some advice here-

The guy who owns the studio I rehearse in has provided me with an SVT 450 H (450 watts @ 4 ohms, not rated at 2 ohms) going into 1 or 2 Yamaha BBT 410 S 's (4 ohms, rated at 250 watts RMS).
    This seems like a mismatch. This is my understanding:

1. Run one cab - potentially damage the speakers
    2. Run both cabs - potentially damage the amp (since would be total of 2 ohms)

Any thoughts; do I have this correct?

2. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    FWIW, I am interested in real world experience with the 450 H and the BBT410 s, not the math.

3. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I owned the 450 for a brief while and had the 350 (which is the same model but 100 less watts and made in USA in the mid 90s) for a couple of years. I ran it with a mesa powerhouse 1000 cab rated at 1000 watts and it had no problem moving it. Sterile sounding but reliable and not too heavy.

To answer your question, If you use just a single 4 ohm cab you just need to pay attention to the sound and not ride the amp too hard. When you hear something wrong or speakers farting out just lower the volume, but I doubt you'll get to that if you're in a practice space and the amp starts sounding not too nicely anyway when you push it hard. I even ran the 350 with a marshall guitar cab for low bedroom practice with no issues... (100 watt guitar cab).

Running two cabs I'm not sure, I think you risk overheating the amp and not getting proper wattage distribution to run both...

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The amp is most definitely 4 ohms MINIMUM, so using both cabs will put excess strain on the amp, and shorten it's life significantly..

5. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Thanks. I'm not crazy about the amp, but it sure beats moving equipment in and out for rehearsal. Looks like the single cab might be an option.

6. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Using two 4 ohm cabs splits the signal
    Down to 2 ohms. Ideally being that the heads optimum impedance is 4 ohms, you could safely use two 8 ohm cabs to split the signal down to 4 ohms.
    I would check with Ampeg, but personally I don't think I ever heard of a head they made that couldnt go to a LOWER impedance using two equal cabs.