1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-4pro/ 410 or BA600/210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krfoss, Mar 5, 2008.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I am trying to decide on getting one of these set ups:
    Ampeg SVT-4pro with 410hlf cab

or

BA600/210 combo

Basically, I am not playing huge gigs right now and am on the move more often than not. BUT, i figure with the head/cab set up, I would not really need to concern myself with sound limitations or upgrading.
    Has anyone played the BA600/210? how does it sound compared to a head/cab set up?

Thoughts?

2. Dont think the ba600 is in stores yet, I am very curious at it to... But I do know that the SVT 4 pro is a marvelous amp tried it at a few gigs (rent it...) with a 410 classic and the tone was fantastic, didnt think my StingRay could sound like that.
    Though it is cuite expensive and provides a bit more pover than I needed, had a 15 speaker that I had to bypass, it was just to loud(but what a sound!).
    :cool:

3. GODSENT

GODSENT

Mar 2, 2007
    The new ampeg combos are on american musicals web site rite now.......

4. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I used to own the SVT4-Pro and ran it through an older Ampeg 810E. It sounded fantastic and the tone was very Ampeg. Sounded even better when run with my sonic maximizer. My only complaint was that it got a little hot in the rack. Hotter than my current Mesa 400+, believe it or not.

A lot of people have complained about the 4-Pro having insufficient volume, but that's just a matter of EQing the amp to whatever cab you're using. Also, the 4Pro really, really prefers a 610HLF or an 810E to any 4x10. If you've got the dough, a Berg 6x10 would be sweeeet with the 4Pro. That rhymed... anyway, the 4Pro is an excellent amp with flexibility way above any beyond the BA600. Also, it's got more than enough power for anything you'd want to do. Ever.

One of my favorite parts about the 4-Pro was how flexible it was. I'd usually run it from an SVP-Pro preamp, but for output, this thing could go down to 300 watts at 8 ohms for recording, all the way to 1200 watts into a single 8x10 for max output. If you wanted a sheer wall of sound, you can actually run four, yes four 8x10's off this amp. Each one will only get around 300 watts, but it's still fun if you've got the resources :]

So, my vote goes for the 4Pro. The 410HLF is a great cab, but for that amp, I'd recommend streching out and getting at least a 6x10, just to make the amp happy.

Man, all this talk makes me want my 4Pro/SVP preamp back.... but since I've gone to an all-tube amp that weighs the same, I can't justify going back :]