1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg svt 4pro help. NEWB!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fleaismyidol, Mar 26, 2009.

1. So i'm fairly gear illiterate, but found an svt4pro for a ridiculously low price on craigslist and bought it. I immediately brought it home and tried to run it through my fender BXR 410hlf to some serious distortion. I'm guessing the amp is too powerful.

I'd like to by another cab so i can get the "big sound" of the SVT but I'd like to be able to run this amp through one 410 cab for smaller gigs. Is there any way to do that without distorting? setting on the amp? new 410 cab? Any ideas? I'm sure this is an easy fix.

Also what cab should i consider buying? i'd like to throw on a 2X10 to keep it from being too hefty.

2. jepETC

jepETC

Jan 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Basson Sound, Audix Mics, SIT Strings
    i hope you tested the head out before purchasing it off some random dood. The 4pro is a powerful head but still can be used on smaller cabs such as a 410, just watch ur levels.

Ask for the distortion, my guess isnt that its too powerful, but its either the head are your bass. How much did you get if for?

3. It sounded great through the guy's ashdown 8X10 so it's not the head. My bass also plays fine through other amps, so no problem there.

Got te SVT 4PRO, Furman power conditioner, korg rackmount tuner, and an 8 space flight case for $800. yeehaw.

any other thoughts?

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No matter how much maximum power the amp may be capable of putting out, it won't be "too powerful for your cab" at low volumes. Are you getting this distortion at low volumes, or only when you turn it way up? And are you running the amp in mono bridged mode, or dual mono mode, or do you perhaps have it (accidentally) in biamp mode?

There's a manual for the head at http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/SVT4PRO.pdf which might help.

Mike