1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 4Pro or Mesa Boogie 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hoyt, Dec 17, 2006.

1. 400+

70.5%
  2. 4Pro

30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I bought a Mesa 400+ from GC here because even though I own an Ampeg SVT 4Pro, I can't help but wonder if that tubey-goodness is what I've been yearning for. :meh: I also always seem to want what everybody else DOESN'T have, i.e. my "own" sound. The Mesa does sound amazing:hyper: , but coming from the 4Pro, it (the 400+) has squat for features. No tuner out for my rackmount Korg, no Mute switch (in standby even the slave out is in bypass), no Bi-amping... The only feature on the 400+ that seems better is the mixable effects loop... However, I can get the 400+ to emulate an Ampeg, but not the other way around, so it is more versatile I guess. I can only keep one head (will 'bay the other), so now I'm trying to decide what is best for what I do. I'll be using my Warwicks (jazzman, $$) to play in my hard rock trio through my Ampeg 4x10 Pro, and 1x15, both rated 600 watts@8ohms... I may also play my King Doublbass Roadking through it for some gigs. (bi-amping the URB REALLY sounds great!) The Mesa does sound great, which is what its all about, but I wonder if I will regret the decision to keep it somewhere down the road... Just looking for some feedback... Thanks in advance:bag:

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    That's a pretty personal kind of decision to make - especially the way you've phrased the question. The bottom line: Go with what your heart tells you. Doesn't matter whether the other option seems more "sensible" or "practical" - if your heart isn't in it, you'll regret it anyway...

Sound to me like you really dig the SVT 4 Pro, and are looking for reasons to justify your choice. As for me, this decision would be a no-brainer, having never really liked the Ampeg sound...

MM

3. Go with what sounds better to you. Simple things like a tuner out can be worked around with an ABY pedal or with using the graphic EQ as a mute (with everything at 0). Standby kills the power section, which also kills the DI, which you should always use instead of the slave to a board. The slave is very noisy and is supposed to be for another power amp if you want more on stage. Biamping in my experience has been somewhat overrated, but if you really like that you can just get a crossover and another power amp and use your FX loop to biamp (FX out----> crossover----> Mesa 400+ FX in and another power amp). But if you like the way your 4-Pro sounds more, by all means stay with it.

4. I'm not sure if I'm trying to justify the 400+... I've used the 4Pro for about 4 years now, and it has great reliability and I really love the tone, and maybe I'm a little hesitant to jump to a new sound/product. The 400+ seems to hit that sweet spot in my ears though, so maybe I just have cold feet. I think what I really need to do is take it to band practice and see how it sits in the mix... Maybe I just really like the number "4" ;) 4Pro, 4oo+, 4x10, 4-strings...

5. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I own a Mesa 400+. I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't get that Ampeg sound and I prefer THAT sound. I've heard several bassists using the 4Pro recently that sounded great-most notable would be Billy Sheehan. I have a 2pro and an SVP-Pro with a poweramp that use the same preamp. I thought of buying the 4pro to use as a lighter weight backup to the 2Pro. My vote-Ampeg

6. If you want features, go with an amp with features.

But IMHO the Mesa 400+ will SLAY the SVT-4 Pro, but thats because i love the sound of tubes.

Why not look at some ampeg SVT valve heads?

7. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    i say both, because the way you set up the poll allows me to

8. I have been thinking about the SVT 2Pro because I love that part of Tim Cummerfords sound, but I wanted to explore other tube heads... I have had some more time to play around with the 400+ and dial it in, and I have to say, I think I'm gonna unload the Ampeg... ...Maybe ;)

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    From where I'm looking at this it seems very simple. You seem to prefer the sound of the 400+ over the SVT. The only thing keeping you undecided seems to be the features. All of the things you have mentioned can be over come or worked around. At the end of the day an amps primary function should be to give you the sound you love and I think features are little more than cometics to make it a bit more appealing. Go with the boogie

10. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    All of this would be taken care of with a tuner pedal... I'm not into bi-amping myself and have a SVT4. I don't think you can lose with either one...

11. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    I voted for both too! err... I mean I voted for both - two!

12. I dont know anything about Mesa, so whats so great about them since a lot of people voted for them..? I use a 4pro.

13. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    +1

14. Also, what bass players use an all tube amp? I would like to hear what that sounds like.

15. I have owned several heads (who here hasn't!). I sold my first 400+ years ago because I wanted something that was lighter and didn't have to deal with tube maintainence. All I have to say is that the 400+ is the only amp I ever bought twice.
    After messing around for a couple of years with other amps, I came to the conclusion that I would never be happy with my sound until I got another 400+. I got another one, and I love it.

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    400+. No contest. :rollno:

17. I haven't used either, tho I own two all tube amps, did own a SVT3PRO - & DID love the sound of AMpeg!!. I voted 4 the 400+ as its all tube, when it all boils down-& as U said-U like the sounds U can get outta the 400+... comes down to ALL tube or -a itty tube pre-amp!!! :p I also replied coz I use my amps-both all tube(1, Fender 300PRO, 2, Eminar Aus 1976 200W 6 x 6CA7's) with my UPRIGHT & contrary to most uprite players who like to use some tiny li'l amps:( with theirs, I find I get a GREAT tone outta my uprite & either of my tube babies- BIG babies I'll admit- but Obesity IS a problem these days:D .

18. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Go for the sound. Your audience doesn't hear features. The Mesa kills!

19. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Mesa 400.. Easily. :bassist:

20. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I say keep the Mesa. If it were a 2Pro, CL, or VR, it would be harder to decide.