Ampeg SVT-4PRO or Mesa Boogie M-2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by QTraXQ, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Ampeg SVT-4PRO

5 vote(s)
  2. Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000

18 vote(s)
  3. Neither.?. (Then name an amp in that Price Range)

1 vote(s)
  1. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    What would you choose, if you had the Choice between an Ampeg SVT-4Pro for $995.00(+ Tax) or a Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000 $999.00(+ $30 s/h)?

I'm planning on purchasing 1 or the other..Either one of these Heads would be a Great choice(especially for the Price).. Remember I just want to know what you would choose, so don't worry about what my needs in an amp are...

I am personally leaning more towards the M-2000, even though it has less Wattage...
  2. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Don't be afraid to post a Reply everyone.. :)
  3. spend a bit more and get a 400+?

out of those two I would get the Mesa.
  4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    You're not getting these amps NEW for those prices, are you?
  5. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    i voted for the mesa 2000 cauz it absolutly rock

super Tube Sound, loud as hell, reliable...
  6. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Yes, they are Both Brand New and in Boxes. Mesa Boogie in Box with 5 Year Factory Direct Warrenty and Ampeg is in Box w/ its Warrenty...

Its a Hard choice for me cause of Price. Ampeg has more wattage and a nice solid sound, but the price for the M-2000 is incredible and its Tweakability is awesome.
  7. yea, well, i hate to open this can of worms .... ah man, I cant do it.

Get the Mesa.
  8. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Are there any other Heads/Amps in that Price Range <$1100.00 that can Compare at all?
  9. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    If possible get a Mesa M-Pulse 600. I have both a Ampeg SVT-4pro and a Mesa M-Pulse 360 and I think the Mesa sounds much better than the Ampeg. It's much deeper sounding with a very versitle eq and I like really the gain of the Mesa.
  10. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW

11. Did they "fall off a truck" somewhere? Mesa doesnt discount, AFAIK.

I have an m2k and i can tell you that you WILL NOT run out of amp. I played to 2800 people with an SVT410e and 15e cabs and was plenty, plenty loud at about 1/2 master. If you are planning on being even louder than that, get a pre/poweramp setup and a custom set of earplugs.
  12. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I bit the bullet and bought a M-2000. God bless GC and the 30 day return policy. I had a 3 night gig, and not once could I get a usable sound from it.

Plug in the SVT-4 Pro, and it all happens.

Good luck.

13. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Just in case anyone is wondering how the Mesa is so cheap. Well then check out the website, Discounted M-2000's

Another thing that I just noticed is, when Mesa is listing info on their Cabinets, they pair them with the 400+ or M-Pulse 600. Is the M-2000 not considered the Best sounding Mesa Boogie Bass amp? Anyone who has used any of these amps or Mesa Cabinets, please give me your input..
  14. If you need a modern, punchy rig for rock or any other "percussive" styles the M-2000 is a great rig. the compressor is brilliant and that "Simul-state" power amp is very cool. If you need a deep tone for a variety of music styles you may want to take a pass or go with the new M-Pulse line. The Mesa sounds very good and has more than enough juice but i personally was never able to find a setting that I was truly happy with. I think for what it is, you could do allot worse though? If you want a "plug n' play" rig though, forget it. I sold mine and scored an Alembic F-1X/QSC set-up that sounds 10x better; more like my old 400+.
  15. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    so you were not able to dial in a "solid deep" Bass tone with the M-2000?
    Im going to play with a Solid, deep Bass Tone as well as a Low-Mid Bass Tone.

Example (musicians): Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam), John Myung (Dream Theater), Ben Shepard (Soundgarden)-Great Bass Tone.....

Example (songs): Soundgarden-burden in my hands, Soundgarden-Outshined
  16. Solid, with a great overall tone, defintely flexible but deep? no...not really, sorry. that was a major reason for the release of Mesa's new M-Pulse line; the old M-2000 was just too much of a challenge to find a work-able tone for most. Many folks complained about this. Their new line emphasizes how "deep" they are which says something i think. I stuck a DBX 120XP in the FX loop of mine and it took care of the problem nicely. I now play with a F-1X/QSC PLX3002 set-up and found that my rig sounded huge and rich right from the get-go, with a minimum of hassle. I really dug the Mesa and hated to sell it because of it's cool design (and that compressor!!) but and so happy now with my Alembic that I would never consider going back.
  17. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Damn, thats getting me thinking. Because I do want access to that Deep Low-end tone.hmmm. m-pulse or m-2000? ahh!!!. If all I had to do was spend alot of time to get the Deep Tone, then I would have no Problem.. I would at least like to know its accessable (no matter how hard it is to find.)... hmmm:meh:
  18. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh yea. I just found out from Mesa/Boogie that the reason why they discounted the M-2000 so much and will ship anywhere in the US is because the M-2000 is Discontinued.

So, I guess the only place really left to purchase any New M-2000's will be from untill they run out of Stock.
  19. Eh, you find them all the time on Ebait. Just keep an eye open.
    If you crave massive flexibility then the M2000 could be for you. If you are a simpler, plug n' play type then pass on it. I know that the new line has a "better" basic tone from the get-go.
  20. I have to say that i have no trouble getting "deep" tones out of mine. infact, if i were to say thai have trouble getting any kind of time, its the bright, open, airy kinda SS tone. Its there, just not like an Eden or SWR, but its a great amp that does nearly everyotehr tone a bassist can ask for.

Word to the wise, tho, the M2k is partial to "cleaner" cabs. the tone out of the head is very very good, but needs a full range clear cab to present that tone properly, dig? IOW, it sounds medoicre thru most Ampeg and old-skool cabs. SWRs, Edens, Ags, Bergies (oh Bergies!)and Genz benz all do it justice. the ht322 and this is God's tone delivered!

My advice is as always: IGNORE THE GRAPHIC EQ - its for adjusting for room acoustics (atleast at first, experience will alter this)

Good Luck and feel free to PM me if you have any ?'s