Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-4PRO Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by floridadave, Feb 18, 2006.

1. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    Hi All,

I am new to this forum and hope that somebody smarter than me could help me out.

About 2 years ago I had all of my gear stolen and within the last 2-3 weeks I bought a new set up.

I bought the following:
    Warwick FNA Jazzman 4-string
    Ampeg SVT-4PRO Head
    Ampeg PRO-410HLF Cabinet

Ok, now here's my question(s):
    Can I hook this head to headphones for practice?
    Can I run a CD player through the head for practice?
    OR do I need to get a combo amp with those features?

Thanks in advance:bassist:, floridadave

2. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Just get a Korg Pandora PX4B.

3. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    Can I connect a CD player to the Aux Input?

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    You cannot connect headphones or cd players to the svt without the correct interface. Like the previous post, buy a bass pandora.

5. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    Thanks...I did a quick read on the Pandora. It seems that I can hook a CD Player to it.

The one thing that's not clear is if (and how) I could run the Pandora through my amp at times when I didn't feel like using headphones.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Much Thanks,
    floridadave

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I think most people here would agree that you should consider a practice amp for the purpose you discuss above.

You've got a high powered amp suitable for playing large clubs and you're asking how to use it as a practice amp. There's a reason tiny practice amps have CD in jacks and an SVT head doesn't--it's like flying your private jet to the local grocery store for a gallon of milk. It's overkill.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  8. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    Thanks...that's kind of what I was thinking. But I was hoping not to have to dish out the $$$$ for a practice amp right after buying the big stuff. Kind of hard explaining to the wife that I now need a smaller set-up after just buying a big one.

The Guitar Center down the road said I could get a Ampeg BA-115HP for $590.00 plus tax. Does that sound decent?

Any other thoughts on a good reasonable combo I could "drag" to practice?:meh:

Thx, floridadave

9. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Word of advice. If you are going to buy an Ampeg practice amp, you might consider the Rocket.

10. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    You can pick up a used Korg Pandora PX4B on e-bay for $100-$150.
    They work great and have some cool options like a drum machine a sampler where you can slow down a song, change the key of a song.

11. try out an EBS Microbass II - it has headphone jack and can be used for silent practice with a cd player input through the effects loop and can be run into your head and cab if you want... It also has two separate channels with separate EQ and a good tube emulation