Ampeg SVT-4PRO which cab to go with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by russ wheeler, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Hey everybody.

I just bought a new Ampeg SVT- 4 PRO, and now am hunting up an Ampeg cab to go with it. I found a deal on a used PR 410 HLF, and I found a good deal on a new SVT 410 HLF. Which cab do you think will go better with the 4 PRO? It looks like there will be about $ 175.00 difference in cost between the two. The SVT will cost more. The PR is used, but in really good shape. It looks like the PR has a more extended range sound wise, but the SVT holds it's own too.

Anybody have experience with these cabs with a SVT-4PRO? Help me out!!

2. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Hey Russ

I've used an SVT-4 Pro with and Eden 410XLT for the last 4.5 years. Get a 4 ohm model and you're in business. Great combination. The Eden 410XLT is the industry standard for a 4x10.

Good luck !

3. Thanks Nick.
    I'll have to look into those.

4. If you want an Ampeg cab, and you want something that will blow the doors off nearly any other 4x10, go with the PR. And if you can save money buy getting the PR, go for it. Then again, the SVT cabs have a certain tone that sounds REALLY good, and that may be what you're looking for. Just try all these different configurations and see what you like best.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I personally preferred the tone of the SVT410HLF over the PR410 with my SVT4Pro. The PR, to me, sounded a bit too boomy and muddy. The SVT, on the other hand, was a lot tighter and punchier, while still retaining great lows. I have 2 of them now, and for larger stages/venues, I use both of them. But for the most part, I have found that a single cab does the trick. And 1 410 is much easier to transport than 2 of them.;)
  6. You know Ryan, I almost emailed you a couple of times about that. I've seen you post about this before. Do you run the amp bridged when using one cab, and in stereo when you use both? Maybe I'll look around for a good deal on a SVT 410. I got a pretty good quote from BassNw, for $599, plus $60.00 for shipping. The PR I found will be $400 plus shipping. Where are the best deals on the SVT's? I thought $599 was pretty good. A local shop quoted me $805.
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Russ- I payed $550 for my first one (I bought a bunch of other gear with it, so GC cut me a deal), and $600 for the second one (bought locally).

Another thing to consider--the PR's are HEAVY. If you are going to have help transporting them, it shouldn't be a problem, but it you ever have to move it around up stairs or anything by yourself, have fun. The SVT isn't a lightweight either, but I don't have much problem carrying them up a flight of stairs to my apartment.

When I run a single cab (which I find myself doing quite a bit), I run the head mono-bridged into it. When I run both cabs, I run them in dual-mono, sending a full range signal to each cab. Seems to work very well for me.

Whichever cab you choose, you will have a great cab. Like I said, though, I just found the PR to be way to "boomy" for my taste. It lacked the serious punch that the SVT has.

Feel free to email or PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck.;)
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Get you one of the cabs pictured on the left and that's all you'll need! ;)

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Look! There's even a 212 cab in that picture! Just joking Russ.

I actually liked the PR better than the SVT that I tried and I almost bought one. That was before I ran into those Genz Benz. ;) Ryan's right though. They're both great cabs and that PR is heavy for sure!