Ampeg SVT-4PRO - Yes or NO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EBMatt, Nov 24, 2003.

1. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I'm looking to get an Ampeg SVT-4PRO. I've tried it out and I really like the way it sounds. But I've heard that Ampegs break.

Tell me of your great experiences or terrible experiences with this head or other Ampeg heads.

If you have any recommendations, tell me.
  2. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I love mine, has never broken unlike my SWR's.
  3. I have 3 different Ampegs, The SVT400T, SVT3Pro and the SVT4Pro, I wouldn't want anything else. I have mine rack mounted and use each in different venues.

4. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Cool beans. Anybody else with good or bad stories?:)
  5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Ampeg is the shiat. High quality. I know there are some bad stories, but there is with everything. The SVT's are the best heads ever!!
  6. mw

Jul 24, 2000
    good amps. just don't let it sit unused. my svt3pro sat for six months and the power amp stopped working properly (an expensive fix). a broken ampeg, as i found out, is worth next to nothing. they sound great when they work and maybe i just got a fluke. kinda weird that they are owned by the same company (SLM) as crate... but as such they have waaay better customer support than eden.

i've been happy with my peavey databass (sound preferences aside, peaveys never break. ever.) and old eden head. but they don't sound like an ampeg. i can get (and have gotten) close with a POD or sansamp though. but never the exact ampeg sound. but i'm not into newer ampegs anymore as a result of my experience(s).

broken or not, i'd love to have a good 70's ampeg tube head. those things are great and definitely worth the expense.

(p.s. doesn't this belong in amps?)
  7. Yes the amps are amazing, and no, this isn't in the right forum :p . Look down just before the Basses forum....and you will see an Amps forum!
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

(Moved to Amps.)
  9. Very, very true.

If ampeg is your thing (which its not mine) then go with it. You can't deny the fact that SO many professionals depend on Ampeg SVT gear for their career! You also can not deny what you like (neither could I).

If you haven't already, you can try Mesa gear (if your're a metal head like me) or Eden gear (if you like smooth beautiful sounds).

But classic rock, Ampeg seems to fit.
  10. Mine (SVT-4PRO) had one of the power amps fail after about 5 times running it bridged mono into a 4 ohm load.....worked great running dual mono w/ 8ohm load on either side. I don't know...maybe I just got a lemon...but I have heard horror stories about the 4-Pro. I replaced it with a Peavey Max 700. I just can't see a $1300 piece of equipment having a failure...
  11. another great option would be getting the SVP preamp and a nice 2000 watt power amp.
  12. Had an svt III pro for over 5 years and never had a problem with it.
  13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Couldn't you have exchanged it???
  14. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have an SVT pro 4 and it has a habitual problem of overheating under hot conditions. It sounded pretty good though. I use it only for light work. I wound up replacing it with a 70' SVT.

Not a bad amp, just be wary.
  15. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've had my SVT-4 Pro since 1997, and never any problems. I do well over 100 gigs per year, so that makes over 600 gigs without any failures.

I think that's a great track record for the SVT-4 Pro!
  16. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Used and abused an Ampeg SVT200T for about 8 years with few problems. Now I'm using an Ampeg B4r for about 1 1/2 years with no problems. Remember Ampeg has a 5 year warranty. If the SVT4 pro makes your ears happy, go for it.
  17. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, 5 years is quit some time.
  18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    EDIT (to yarnboy): 5 years is quit some time for a warranty. Not that you would need it ;).
  19. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    But if it quits some time, you'll be glad it has the 5 year warranty.