Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Muller, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Please give your input on the SVT410HE and the SVT410HLF. Is the HLF really worth the extra $170?
    How will one of these these cabs sound with the SVT350H head? Also, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the SVT350H or the B-2R. Would these rigs cut through a guitar and drummer?

Thanks in advance,

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    In my opinion, the HLF is worth it, for me. Much better lows. I just picked one up this weekend, and I A/B'd it with every other Ampeg 4x10 they had. I preferred this one as a stand alone. I am gonna probably add a 410he in the very near future, and run em both full range.

Since I just got it, that's about all the help I can give you for now.

3. dude, trust me its worth it.
    i got an ampeg 4x10 and i love the heck out of it. its worth the extra money for a life time worth of awesome tone!!
  4. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    It really depends if you want to upgrade your rig later or not. A 4x10HLF will be great and is worth the extra money, but the only problem is it is a 4 ohm cabinet, which means you can't really add another 4x10 cabinet later down the road if you want more power. However, if all you want is a 4x10, and dont see the need to upgrade (and unless your playing stadium gigs, you won't need to) then it is a good option.
    A B2R or 350H would go well with either the HLF or the HE, and would most likely be able to cut through a guitar and drummer.
    A way of telling if an bass rig will cut through a guitar amp, is to generally have 3 times the wattage of their amp. Add in a drummer and make it 4 times the wattage of the guitarists amp - just to be on the safe side. So if your guitarists amp is 60 watts, then you should be looking at about 240 watts to cut through.
  5. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have the HLF 410 with an SWR 4004 head... can't tell you about the ampeg heads, but the cabinet is insanely cool... I love it! Not only do I use it when I need all the juice to push, but now I use it as my practice amp! all my other amps are pretty much left out to dry... the cab is great, not to heavy, sounds wonderful, and appears to be pretty sturdy. I believe if I had to do it all again, then I would get the same cab.

6. Hi!
    I'm in the same position as Ryan. I've got a hlf and it sounds great!!! But sometimes I need more power. Is there any 410HE in 4 ohm? Can I place another HLF on the cab I've got?

Thankful for answers!

7. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Just another voice in the chorus: the SVT410HLF is a great cab. Fairly easy to move, loads of rump, not "peaky" at all. Cuts through wonderfully, too!
  8. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Is the difference between the SVT410HLF and the 410HE really that huge? Do you think the 410HLF is a better choice than the 810E, considering the power source will most likely be an SVT350H ?
  9. I don't know about this 4 times the power stuff, but I have a B2r and a HLF 4x10 and my guitarist has a 100 watt amp, I have Never had a volume probleme, and I only turn up to around 7. :rolleyes:
  10. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    I have the SVT410HLF and it's just wonderfull, I move it with a SVT3PRO and never had a volume problem. For us, five stringers, the cab is just wonderful, when you play that low B, the earth start to shake... But there is bad news for you, if you play too loud and hit the low B, the roof may go down. ;)
  11. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    The only differences between the 410HE and the 410HLF are that the HLF is ported, which means that it can handle lower frequencies, and therefore being ported also makes it heavier than the HE. Also, the HLF is 4 ohm, so if you plan to continue using a B2R or 350H head with it then you will be able to use the full 350 watts of the head. If you use the same head with the 8 ohm 410HE then you will only be able to use 200 watts of the head.

410HLF and B2R/350H = 350 watts, low frequencies
    (handy for 5 string), but
    less upgradability.

410HE and B2R/350H = 200 watts, but the ability
    to upgrade by adding
    another 410HE in future.
  12. Ankles

Jan 6, 2001
    I have 2 4x10 HLF. I power them with a SVT4. Sounds awesome. Well worth the money. As a prior person responded,if you are not running a stereo head the 4ohms could be an issue.
    TOne wise,it sounds clear,punchy and very focused.:D
  13. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am running mine with an SVT 4 Pro also. It has twice the bottom end than my Peavey 810tx cab had. And the overall tone blows the Peavey cab away.

I am running the head mono bridged into the cab for now. Sometime soon, I am gonna get either another HLF or maybe an HE to add to it.
  14. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have the 410HE which I use alone when we do weddings and other light stuff. I like the 8 ohm flexibility because when we play outdoors, I have a SVT 115 which is 8 ohms. Stack the two and I have more power from my amp head (a Genz Benz) and plenty of bottom end. Still, because you're wondering "what if I had . . ." I wonder what life would be like with a 610hlf. Six tens, a tweeter and the front ports. That's gotta be an awesome cab.
  15. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I heard that the HLF is a better choice only for
    5-string players. I play a 4-string Fender Jazz and
    I don't care to ever play a 5-string. I read a review that said 4-string players are better off going with the 410HE, as the advatages of the HLF won't be noticed with a 4-string, plus the HE is cheaper.
    Is all of this true? I'd imagine the HLF would still make a 4-string sound lower, deeper, and all out better.
  16. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Dan, this is true, and it is cheaper to buy a 410HE over the 410HLF, but the only problem with the 410HE is that your head will only be able to power it with 200 watts.
    The question is how long until you will upgrade again (if ever?), and what type of gigs are you playing (small, large?).

If you plan to upgrade in a while (like adding another 410HE to your rig) then definately go for the 410HE. The only difference for you between the cabs is that you will be able to use more power with the HLF.
  17. I own the cheaper BSE model, but I still think they are somewhat similar cabs, and have experiance with both. I might have gone with the Classic version had I not found the BSE for such a good price. They have plenty of lows for my taste, and can get pretty loud. Right now I am trying to decide between an 8x10 and a 6x10.

I bought the SVT3-pro, and it has been very good to me. I love the sound, and also like all of the features. I would maybe get a head with a little more power than the 350h or the b2r, but it is up to you.

18. I have three Ampeg SVT cabinets; 410HLF, 210HE, 115H (I think those are the right designations). Anyway, the 410 is 4 ohm, the other two are 8 ohm.

I run two different amp heads; an Ampeg SVT-III and a Peavey Firebass II. I can run all three cabs with the Firebass if i really want to push up to 700W, normally used only for outdoor gigs. However, in most instances I only run a 4 ohm set up. I like the 410 and Peavey head with my Jazz bass and the 210/115 with the Ampeg head with my P basses.

You can't go wrong with the 410HLF. It is a dynamite cabinet. My only complaint is the 115 pounds (actual weight, not catalog listing). Sometimes, after a long gig, it's a little tiresome to move it.

Get one. You won't regret it.
  19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I played my first two gigs with my SVT 4 pro/SVT 410HLF rig this weekend.

All I gotta say is "Wow!!". With my Peavey 810tx cab, I never came close to having the lows that I do with the Ampeg. For once, the drummer didn't complain that he couldn't hear me. The rig cuts through on a loud stage like you wouldn't believe. We played on a couple of large stages, and even from all the way on the other side of the stage, every note was well defined and cut through, without being overbearing. The lows are where it really shines, though. The cab produces lows you can feel. My Peavey never accomplished this.

I am definitely going to be adding another 410 HLF in the very near future. I have finally found my "perfect" cab and head.:D :D