Ampeg SVT-4X10 classic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Insomniac, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Whats everyone think of this cab? I might purchase a used one and i want everyones opinions on how it would sound with a SWR Workingmans 200 watt head driving it. would that sound be appropriete for metal and hard rock? remember i cant afford an Eden and im looking at the SVT 4x10 classic, not the SVT 4X10hlf
  2. I'd recommend getting the svt 410 hlf instead of the svt 410 he. It handles lows better, and would be better for the styles of music you are playing.
  3. leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    I play an SM-400 with the SVT410. They sound great together playing punkish rock. You might want to consider some more then 200 watts to get all out the cab.

The he version of the cab is sealed as opposed to the ported hlf. To my ears the he is tighter and cuts better through marshalls. It sounds about the same as the all time classic SVT810. Its a classic for a reason.

The hlf is a bigger cab because of the added ports. The ports give you more low frequencies but less definition. Hlf is 4 ohms and he is 8 ohms. You get more watts out of a solid state head with the hlf but adding cabs later on is trickier.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree.
  5. yes i think the HLf would work except i can get a great deal on the SVT 4X10 he, for about 440$. so how does this cab sound?
  6. OK i use an ampeg 4x10 Classic HE. Long story but I auditioned the HLF at a sam ash, had the sales guy tell me the HLF and the HE were the same price (very attractive in 97) and I purchased the HLF. Sales guy wheels cab into my '96 Altima, barely fits etc and off I go. Get home and discover its the freakin' HE. So I give up 4ohms, wattage and the porting.

Fast forward 2002. HE sounds great with my GK. We mainly play covers in a small/medium bar setting so this is too much to begin with. It is tight, punchy and I compete (and cut through) 2 guitar players - considerate blokes who play top notch stuff: Rivera 100 watt tube through a Mesa 2x12 and a Randal 100 watt SS through a 4x12. And a drummer who keeps f'n perfect time and just kills the metal work. GK800RB (Trip Walmsley, are you paying attention? :p ) sound f'n awesome flat through this cab.

Have to agree with what I think Nino B. is getting at. Bottom can use some help. I recently purchased an avatar 15 to put under this pup. This will allow me to go 4ohms with the GK or split my signal LO/HI.

Much punned bottom line - 4x10HE is a good, solid cab for rock. It is not an Eden, an Berg or an Aguilar. That is not what I was buying at the time. It has served me well and is reliable. If you get the same deal as I did, same price HE vs HLF (I shoulda known it was too good to be true), I would opt for the HLF. However, 4x10HE has never had me swearing that I would take it in for a trade day after a gig.

HLF will ruin your back 50% faster than the HE will also - keep that in mind.

peace out

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    LOL :D