1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 5 Pro, is great! But........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Asomodai, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Hey guys.

Just got sorted on a new rig. Which includes an Ampeg SVT 5 Pro head.

It has a seperate overdrive channel, that i can combine with the clean channel to create some pretty cool sounds.

Problem is, i prefer the grindy sound of the Hartke Bass attack pedal i won in the SE BB raffle over the Ampegs overdrive channel. The Attack pedal has a "brite" knob, which makes all the difference which gives me lots of nasty high end snap (Extreme levels that can cut through death metal out loud volumes. The Ampeg cannnot do this on its own, lacking a brite knob and the Hi-Treble switch does not provide enough. Is this normal? Is there an amp that can produce that kind of Brightness? Should i just stick out with the ampeg and plug the Hartke into it as a pre-amp? Is there a way of modifying the ampeg to provide this high end snap? ( I would rather keep the controls within the amp as apposed to on the bass onboard pre-amp)

I could possibly get a Graphic EQ put into my rack, But the holes dont line up correctly and the amp which is 2U only fits bang into the centre of my 3U rack unit. So not enough space either side for anything else!

Otherwise the ampeg is a lovely amp, provides bags of Mid range and sounds as an ampeg should.

I just think its a shame i need to plug in the Hartke pedal to provide the sound i need to cut through in the (ridiculous) metal band.

Cheers guys!

Rob.

2. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    What cab are you playing it through?

3. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Marshall 1x18. Not a huge amount of high end i admit, but the Hartke Sounds great through it.

I am having a barefaced Vintage 2x15 with tweeter arriving soon.

4. I didn't know there was an SVT 5Pro

5. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    On the OD channel, did you try turning that frequency knob next to the mid clockwise and boosting the mids, as well as the highs? That looks like a nice amp, I would just run the hartke pedal to the instrument input if its really the sound you're after

6. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
  7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    There's the problem. The Marshall 18" has far less high-end than the Vintage, let alone the betweetered one! You should be able to run pedalless with the new cab.

Alex

8. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Hello Alex, My problem is, I want the amp to do the same sound as the Hartke can with ANY cab. The Hartke can make any cab sound grindy and trebley including the 1x18. I am not blaming cabs in anyway. My question is can the Amp be modded or could i get a graphic EQ to make it happen, WITHOUT resorting to pedals. (Which i am pretty much against using.)

Cheers :)

Rob.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why are you against using pedals? Convenience? Religion? ;)

All OD circuits are different. Some you will like, some you won't. That's just the way it is.

10. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Convenience, Less to go wrong etc.

Its not so much a problem with the overdrive, its just that the pedal has a bright control and the ampeg does not.,

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just use the pedal when you have to - a much better idea than messing with the amp circuitry. If its pedal format bothers you, feel free to velcro it into your rack! ;)

Alex

12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Mid Frequency knob on the OD channel set all the way clockwise and boosted might just work.