Ampeg SVT-5 Pro users...tell me about it!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Jan 18, 2006.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Hey Guys! I am seeking advice regarding an Ampeg SVT-5pro head. I have a guy wanting to trade this head for my 1996 Fender American Jazz w/ Lindy Fralin pickups and I wanted to know if the head is worth it. I currently use an older Trace Elliot rig but I am curious about the SVT-5. What does it sound like? How does it compare to other SVT heads? I know the SVT-5 pro only has 1 12ax7 so how does that compare to the other multi-tube preamp sections of the SVT line? Let me know ya'lls likes and dislikes...thanks!:help:
  2. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    i spent about 10 minutes with a 5 pro at a guitar center once and could not dial in any useable sounds. i dont care for an amp that takes me more than a few minutes to get even somewhere in the ballpark of a decent sound. But Billy Sheehan seems to like it and YMMV. The main selling point of that amp is its dual channel, one of them being a distortion channel. I didnt care for the distorted sound it produced, but again, YMMV. Its not really like any of the other amps in the current SVT lineup. I tried it & didnt care for it, but I have read where others absolutely love the amp. Your best bet is to try it for yourself.