1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT-5 Pro users...tell me about it!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Jan 18, 2006.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hey Guys! I am seeking advice regarding an Ampeg SVT-5pro head. I have a guy wanting to trade this head for my 1996 Fender American Jazz w/ Lindy Fralin pickups and I wanted to know if the head is worth it. I currently use an older Trace Elliot rig but I am curious about the SVT-5. What does it sound like? How does it compare to other SVT heads? I know the SVT-5 pro only has 1 12ax7 so how does that compare to the other multi-tube preamp sections of the SVT line? Let me know ya'lls likes and dislikes...thanks!:help:

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    i spent about 10 minutes with a 5 pro at a guitar center once and could not dial in any useable sounds. i dont care for an amp that takes me more than a few minutes to get even somewhere in the ballpark of a decent sound. But Billy Sheehan seems to like it and YMMV. The main selling point of that amp is its dual channel, one of them being a distortion channel. I didnt care for the distorted sound it produced, but again, YMMV. Its not really like any of the other amps in the current SVT lineup. I tried it & didnt care for it, but I have read where others absolutely love the amp. Your best bet is to try it for yourself.