Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT 5 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well here is the deal. I got a Ampeg B3 combo a little while back for rehersal and I fell IN LOVE with the tone from it. Punchy, growly, everything that I was looking for, but just way underpowered for anything beyond a very small gig (or rehersal which is what I use it for).

So I've been seeking out deals on Ampeg heads to go with my Berg NV610 cab. I found a very fair deal, one that I will not lose money on if I have to sell it. It's a SVT 5 Pro. Comes with a rack and 4 button footswitch. I'm hoping I can get that tone that I get from the B3 combo. It has 2 channels (one clean and one overdrive), 1350 peak watts when bridged (1000 w continuous), octaver, etc, etc ,etc (packed full of features). I would love to hear what other's experiences are with this head. Again, I'm looking for something powerful, with 2 channels and that classic Ampeg growl. I'm hoping this fits the bill. Before you tell me to sell it and get a SVT tube head, I already have a monster tube head with two channels (Peavey Classic 400). The Ampeg is less than half the weight of the Peavey which is also a nice bonus...

Again, let me know your experiences with this head. Hopefully it does it for me (if not, I can always dump it on Evil Bay!)...

[​IMG]

2. I guess it's an okay Ampeg amp. I liked the 1st channel when I tried it, but the overdrive channel sounded really bad imho. There better Ampeg amps out there for overdrive sounds...

3. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Hey hey. 1+ for a nice looking amp. I hope that you have fun with it. I really like to combine the channels rather then just have the distortion on because there really was not enough bass in the distortion channel. I didn't think that it was too bad. When you go soring up to the higher frets just hit your octive and you will be set.

Seth

4. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    You are going to think I'm nuts but I think the B4R sounds better than both the 4 pro and 5 pro. I also tried the 6 pro briefly and was impressed.

5. Quadzilla

I don't think you're nuts. I currently have a B3 combo (B3 head with a sealed 1x8 and ported 1x15) and I have yet to own ANYTHING that sounds better for rock. Problem is I can't get the volume out of it that I need. Man, that combo has more growl than anything that I've ever owned.

I got a SICK deal on it too. I walked into a GC and they had it in a stack of clearance stuff. It was new but a store demo. Cost me $250! Anyway, I'm hoping that the SVT 5 Pro with my Berg NV610 (sealed) will give me some of that growly tone that I'm getting out of the little B3 combo (at a MUCH higher volume of course). I'll know Thrus night when the SVT arrives...

6. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    You seem to be setting records for gear swapping these days. I thought I was bad but I think you got me beat! :)

7. Quadzilla

Man you are SOOOOOO right! I've become a total gear whore! Only difference between me and Bowlus is that I typically can't afford to buy a new item without selling or trading an old (I traded another head, a bass and case for the SVT). I gotta calm down. The GAS is KILLING me bro! :smug:

8. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Dude, you always find the BEST deals!

9. Quadzilla

Somehow I have a knack for stumbling on them! :hyper:

10. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    The ironic thing for me is that after the last 5 years of buying and selling and trying new things, I finally have got the gear that works the best for me......and now I'm not gigging anymore. It's like finding the absolute best steak marinade...and 10 seconds later becoming a vegetarian.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Quad-man, you definitely beat me on the "mega-deal" score card. :p I've been pretty fortunate and I try to jump on a good deal, but man, you are a bloodhound! :D And I do appreciate your willingness to share such discoveries (when appropriate). :)

Tom.