Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT 5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottlefight, Apr 22, 2003.

1. bottlefight

bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    MI
    The specs on this amp look great, but has anyone played it or had the amp for a while? Does it hold up? Is it worth the money?

2. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I've owned a b2, svt 3, and svt classic and have played the svt 5. i never liked the svt 5 at all, i thought it sounded really thin and lacked good tone and the distortion channel is useless(in my opinion). you may like it a lot though, the power ratings do seem high, but a 300 watt tube svt will womp on em. i saw two bands last week that used one (yellowcard and further seems forever) and it had a tone that i could best describe as trying to be an svt but just coming across as a copy. but then again the guy in thursday uses one and i like his tone a lot so it's all up to you. i'd dish out $200 more and get the cl or spend that money and get a 400+. then again not everyone likes tubes. or if not then try and impulse...

3. Thelastofus,

you say you owned a BE2, a SVT-3 and a SVT Classic... what amp do you own at the moment?

question for other ampeg users:
    is a SVT-2 Pro much louder than a SVT-3 Pro?

4. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    sorry for not being clear, i currently own the classic. the svt 2 is much much louder than the svt 3. i don't the svt 3 would've handled what i needed and that was even with an 8x10. the tone was alright but it seemed to lack any depth to it. seemed very thin. i'd deffinately go with the classic or the 2 pro

5. TheLastofUs;

thanks for the reply,
    I currently own a SVT-3 Pro. I find it lacking in power (as so many owners). I play in a loud metalrockband and I need the power very much.
    I'm only using ONE 8 Ohm 4x10 (Peavey TVX) with it though... soon I'll add another 1x15. I guess that'll work out better.

I know a old SVT-II Pro for sale in a secondhand shop. It's the previous (?) issue with blue logo on it... Sadly I'm broke with that SVT-3 purchase but who knows how long that SVT-2 Pro stays at that shop ;) :D