Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-5PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldfclefer, Aug 19, 2005.

1. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Does anyone here own one of these? It sounds like the ultimate amp, but I'm wondering if any of you TBer's has some practical experience with one.

2. It costs enough. How much does it weigh? Are there any tube amps out there for bargain prices that wont die on me?

3. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    I was so exited to get this amp. :eyebrow:
    I actually traded a svt classic reissue for it. ( I know I'm gonna catch hell for that one...)
    Well, for starters it still didn't have the volume the svt did.
    The features ARE nice but...
    After a few gigs I had a thermal shut down. I'm wondering "what the hell?" :bawl: I wasn't runnin' it that hot. I had it in a nice skb case and all. Then it starts trickin' me when it wants to shut down.
    I took it in to the shop. Here's the secret_____ first thing he asks "is it in a road case?"
    I says yup, Guy says, "It's doing exactly what it should be. The amp circulates air from side to side instead of front back / back front. YOU CANT EVEN KEEP IT IN A RACK! When its in there, it cant move the air. Soon after one side of the power amp section quits on me.
    I lose a helluva lotta money, a good amp(svt), I'm down to playing a frickin' combo amp. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. I'm so stuck between a rock and a hard place. :crying:

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Man that sucks dude.

But if it vents the air from side to side wouldn't you of noticed the side vents when you were rackmounting it?

Either way that sucks, not to mention since it is rackmountable it makes no sense to have side to side cooling.

-Rob

5. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Hey. I have one and have done a few gigs with it. I think that I accually bought it off of Joconnor. Anyway, I haven't had a problem with it yet. It is a pretty good amp. First, it has power. The little gagets are ok but you need the pedal from ampeg if you really want to use it while playing cause it is a pain to always use your hand to turn on the distortion or octive or combine the channel. I personally would go for the Ampeg 4 because it has more power and a sweet eq. but if you already have a sweet preamp and more power then you will need then heck, you can get this. I like at and the overdrive really isn't bad at all. I like it a lot. It needs a preamp and a pedal to switch channels. That is my 2 cents for what it is worth.

6. Jeff O'Connor

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    Not me my friend! Unfortnately I still have the thing. Sitting around collecting dust till I have the $ to get it fixed. :scowl:

7. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    OK
    Mixed reviews. The side venting sounds like a design flaw, maybe Ampeg will clear that up soon. Hell, you've got to rack mount a $1300 amp.
    I'm a plug and play type of player, in other words, i find the sound i want and don't touch the setting after that. I don't use effects. I'm already biamping, and the split amps seem to be good for that. Also, the pre has a 12ax7 in it so I thought it was fairly self contained, but you're saying I need a good pre.
    I guess I'll have to play one to see what I think.
    Dude at GC says he'll call me when they get one in.
    Thanks for your replies.

8. Jeff O'Connor

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    Speaking of GC, when I wanted to get a trade going for mine before it took a dump. He told me. They are discontinuing the 5. He could only give me like 200 for the dam thing. And he's a friend who's the manager of guitars. :help:

9. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    It is very easy to remedy the overheating situation (most of the time, but not all). On my amps that vent to the side I installed 1/2" bushings on the side of my rack case where the air flows out; I also install them where the air flows in. I also have installed a small computer fan at the rear of the rack case. You can buy one at a computer store for ten dollars along with an extension chord. Cut the end of the extension chord off, strip the wires and solder them to the fan. Use L brackets to install. Depending on how the air flow moves determines whether I blow air on or away from the amp. To observe how the air flows when the amp is in the rack I run the amp until the fans come on, then I light a stick of incense and get a flashlight and fill the inside of the rack with a little smoke to see how it dissipates. After I install the fan I check it again. This has worked with my SVT 4 and my SWR sm-500. I do not have any heating problems since doing this. Keep in mind that I live in AZ and an outdoor summer gig at 9:00 pm still has a temperature of 100 degrees. If anyone wants to see pics, let me know.

10. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    For $1300 cooling shouldn't be an issue.

11. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Simplest solution is simply to drill some vent holes in the side of your rack case. Just do something to allow air movement, and it'll be fine.

Sometimes you will need to accommodate design factors that are not necessarily explained. A lot of amps cool in strange places. If I recall, some GK amps did, or still do, have cooling through the *top*.

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I agree. For that much money you shouldnt have to subject yourself to issues like that.

I'd recommend going with a Pre-Power rig if you really want that tone. SVP-BSP ---> Power amp of your choice. It would honestly cost less, I would assume.... since the BSP is about $500 new, and you could get a great power amp for $300-$700, depending on your preferences in power and weight.

So basically....
    Ampeg SVP BSP: $500
    QSC PLX1202: $600
    Rack: Not very much :p

13. Jeff O'Connor

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    I have a Sansamp RBI that sounds AWESOME! Just saving up for a nice power amp, and maybe a Avatar 2x12? When I can finally get my 5Pro serviced, hopefully someone will want it!! that was my theory also, for that money I shouldn't have to mod anything! :scowl: