Ampeg SVT-6 Bias Help Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cowpoke, May 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cowpoke

cowpoke

Jul 23, 2009
    Hello to all and thanks in advance for your help.

I am rebuilding an Ampeg SVT-6 and having some trouble. I have rebuilt several Ampeg amps in the past with a high level of success, but this one is giving me problems.

What is the best method for setting the bias? There are two halves, (+ half and - half).

The bottom half, (+) is on the main power amp board and is mounted with a heat sink on top of the mosfets. The top half (-) is mounted to a heat sink directly above the bottom half.

How do you measure the voltage on the bottom half? You cannot access the source resistors without either removing the heat sink or flipping the main board upside down. Do you measure it without the heat sink installed?

Do you remove the power board and flip it over to measure the voltage across the 5w .47 ohm resistors for the bottom half? Can you set the bias on the bottom half and then install the top half and adjust the top?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021