1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 6 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjohnnick, Aug 11, 2009.

1. cjohnnick

cjohnnick

Aug 3, 2009
    got an offer from a friend who is willing to sell me this for 650, including a nice rack and everything. It's a couple years old but cosmetically great condition. Should I do this? I play an Ampeg 8x10, so I know it could get the sound and power I am looking for, but has anyone had any serious problems with this head?

2. are you able to get ANY pictures of it?

3. cjohnnick

cjohnnick

Aug 3, 2009
    yep. I have seen it, and it looks great. And it's from a friend of mine who I know wouldn't lie about the condition and quality of the head. He offered to let me borrow it and try it out at a couple shows and things, so I am sure it will sound great. I just didn't know if the 6Pro had some kind of down-the-road problems that were very common, that could possibly convince me to go with another head.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mines about 5 yrs old, and hasn't caused me any trouble at all. Great amp, one of Ampeg's "secret" good ones.

5. BillySid

BillySid Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX
    I had one for a while and bought it new. The fan in the back was always way loud and sounded like a jet taking off when it kicked in. Could have been the rack I had it in wasn't letting enough air through so the fan was working harder I guess. Sounded great though.

6. cjohnnick

cjohnnick

Aug 3, 2009
    yea I've heard the fan is loud, but I'm only using this for shows and practice, no recording, so I don't think it will be a problem for me.

7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Always wondered what the sonic differences are between a 4Pro and 6Pro.
    Like the idea of more tubes and less knobs (the extra power would be nice too)!

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've only played around a little with a 4Pro, but the reason I bought a 6Pro was for the tube driver section, no graphic eq, and a single channel to push all the power from. I'm not saying it sounds like an all-tube amp, it doesn't, but the overall *feel* of the amp is very tubey, and still really tight. Obviously Ampeg has sold alot more 3Pro's and 4Pro's, and that's why I feel the 6Pro's kind of a secret weapon.

9. Loved mine when I had it. Like a 3 Pro on steroids.
    Great tone but very heavy. I found the fans to be too loud too. OK when gigging but not so good if it's your only practice amp.

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Which would be basically because that's what it IS.......

11. cjohnnick

cjohnnick

Aug 3, 2009
    awesome. thanks for all the input guys. I made my decision and am going to buy this from my friend. He even said I can take it now and make him payments too, which means I can get to playing it sooner!

12. I think youll be glad you decided to move on this amp.

Thats a pretty good deal too!!

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I totally dissagree. I had a 3 and I now play a 6. I LOVE the SVT6. I can egt any tone I want with it. That's a good price and you won't regret it. The para-EQ take a little getting used to, but when you do, you will love it. The voltage control for the driver tubes will let you go from fat and tubey to more modern and "solid state" sounding. Great amp!

14. hey two fingers, may want to have an Ampeg dispute with someone who wasnt an employee of Ampeg.:D

:bag:

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Seriously, Jerrold was in on the design of those amps. Not the guy to disagree with.:ninja:

16. basspro

basspro Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Las Vegas,NV
    The 6 Pro is a great amp and i think you will be very pleased with it.
    I use a 5 Pro myself and prefer the para EQ over the sliders.

17. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    GET IT.

Great price!

It's heavy yes, but you only have to move it twice a night...and I do believe its lighter than the SVT 3 Pro...

It will sound awesome with your 810.

18. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I suspect he thought it was a dig at the amp, like that was BAD....

Seriously, it IS two 3PRO power amps, with some added parts and outputs, already-bridged, with a different pre based on the 3PRO in front of it...... The front end is similar, but the graphic and traditional mid control are replaced by the semi-parametric.

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! I see your point. And I have gotten a LOT of good info from Jerrold. And somewhere down in the guts of the amp, I'm sure he's right (about things I could never comprehend). But as far as the EQ sections of the two, they aren't very close to me. The 3 has a (I think) 9 band graphic that you can cut off with a button. It has various low, mid and high controls (and I don't remember all of the details). I think the 6 has 2 (or possibly 3) more tubes, including drivers. The 6 has a voltage control for the driver tubes (which I think the 3 does not). The 6 has a four band para EQ for the mids whic the 3 does not. And the 3 is somewhere around 350 or 400 watts whereas the 6 is 1,000. Again, I bow to Jerrold when it comes to the guts of any amp Ampeg ever made, but there are still a GREAT number of differences betweem the two.

20. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yeah, the semiparametric EQ is basically THE difference, aside from the power. But it's a very good difference!

Makes a LOT of difference in using it....... I can totally see liking it a lot better.