1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT 610, adding another cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimboSlice87, Jan 14, 2012.

1. TimboSlice87

TimboSlice87

Nov 21, 2010
    My current setup is an Ampeg SVT4PRO head with the SVT610 classic cab. I've played out with it a couple of times so far, and I can't help but feel that it barely has enough output. My ex-drummer, as well as my new drummer both play very loud. You never know what kind of issues you may run into with sound. I played a gig where people were telling me they could barely hear the bass. Apparently the sound guy decided not to run us through the house system. I'm sick of gigs being a crapshoot.

A buddy of mine who's been playing bass professionally suggested adding a 15" speaker cab in addition to the current 610". He said it would provide the missing low end for the bass to be felt as well as extra volume. It makes sense to me. Both are considered "half stacks". The owners manual for the head shows how to setup up mixed cabs.

I've brought this up on talkbass before, and people told me never to mix cabs at all. That it creates "phasing issues". Although from what I know people do it all the time. My buddy runs an AmpegSVT3Pro through a 410 and 15, and it sounds fantastic...better than my rig. Also considering selling my cab for another configuration. What should I do? :help:

2. your 610 isn't loud enough? Oh dear.

the SVT610HLF should have sufficient low end but I'm not in your situation either.

1st make sure the cab is running on all cylinders (any speaker issues?). Make sure your SVT4PRO is also without issue as you are giving this cab nearly 500 watts.

If your head and cab come back with a clean bill of health then get another cab. GET WHATEVER SOUNDS BEST TO YOU be it either a 115, 215, 610, etc...

Me? I'd get another 610 or give the 810E (or 2 :eek:) a shot. Maybe a pair of the 410HLF cabs as they have mondo low end.

I'd also tell the drummer to buy your cab as it's him PLAYING TOO LOUD.

3. +1

I use the 4Pro and the 6X10 and together they can blow windows out.

NO to the 15. Period. End of story.

Question. Where are you running your Gain and Master?

Remember that the 4 pro operates much better with the Gain set at least at 3 O'Clock (and maybe higher) and then control the volume with the Master.

If you haven't yet tried this, give it a go and see if it doesn't make a difference. Also, make sure that you don't have those goofy ultra-high and low buttons in....power suckers!

Cheers!!

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I am right with Buster Brown here - what are your EQ settings? that head (with the knobs flat and the boost buttons not pushed in) gives off a LARGE amount of low end from around 40hz to 150hz. You might want to consider lowering the low end content a little bit and turning the master up. Is the Active button pushed in?

The Gain knob should have the red light lighting up on the nearly every note you play.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A 15" added to a 610 is the equivalent of using a dish towel to wipe up a flood. A 15" generally puts out as much as a 210, and the 610hlf puts out lows equal to or more than any 115 cab. 15"s are great, but you obviously don't want to mess around. What you need to add is a second 610hlf. Anything smaller and you won't be able to kill babies.

6. vabeyta1

vabeyta1

Dec 20, 2004
    Austin, TX
    +1 to most of these posts. Something is wrong here. I've been using an Ampeg 610 since '05 with several different amps including an SVT-II (non Pro), a GK 800RB and an Orange Bass Terror 500 and I have never been at a loss for power. Make sure everything is firing on all cylinders. If so, and if your drummer is still overpowering you with the rig you described, then I have to believe the rest of the mix is so bad as to make this futile.

I agree that a couple of 410HLFs may give you more low end, but with a real danger of being boomy with no definition/clarity. Adding 1 15" will be a waste of time/money. And, 15s may not even give you any additional low end, depending on the cabinet; I have an off-brand 115 cab loaded with a vintage JBL that has a great, woody "bark" to it, but not the same low girth as the 610.

I've just recently decided to part with my 610, with some sadness. Depending on where you are TimboSlice, you may be interested in adding this to your already impressive rig.

7. have you tried to monobridge the 4 pro for a little extra head room, also a little eq'ing might help out, i use the 4 pro with a 410 hlf and have plenty of volume

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If he bridges the 4 Pro, he's going to blow his cab. I don't know if I agree there's anything wrong with his cab. I just think he wants insane volume. The tradeoff for having the amount of low end a 610hlf gives you is your output will be a little reduced compared to a cab that isn't tuned as low. That's why he hears his friend's rig with the 410he and 115e as louder. It's got more volume in the frequencies that give you loudness. So I think he should get a second 610hlf if he wants that low end and he wants to be a lot louder. Or maybe look into an 810e if he wants only one cab and doesn't mind having a cab that doesn't go quite as low.

9. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Sound strange to me that a drummer, loud as he gets will overpower such a bass rig. This issue must be to the mix being muddy, or trying to push lots of lows. Like the other said, it can be an EQ issue, and the gain structure of the amp.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Cut lows and boost mids.

11. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    If you find your rig to be working properly you need a new band, not the cab. Pushing things that far can result in hearing damage easily.

12. I play my 4Pro bridged and have yet to blow the cab....

of course, I don't play loud enough to blow a cab....:D

We are loud, however.....not WHO or Deep Purple loud...but loud enough that we seldom need the house system. Then again, when we do outdoor shows, it's through the PA and "katy-bar-the-door"!! :D

I think you are right, however. I believe that the OP is looking for insane volume and, well, let's be honest here...the 610 will fall short unless you're adding 2 or 3 other 610s and adding another 2,000-3,000 watts. :p

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    IME/IMO, the SVT-610HLF is one of the worst 610 cabs on the market... I had a like new US made SVT-610 for around a month, and it just couldn't cut it when playing with my band - farted out too easily when pushed... However, the SWR Goliath SR and Mesa PH610 both handled my playing needs easily, and never farted out - with the same bands, amps, and basses...

Get a better 610, or an 810 - and you *should* be all set...

- georgestrings

14. The SVT-4 needs to be pretty much cranked to get some volumes. My experience.
    So just crank it?

15. hmm...I had one for a short time but it just wasn't for me. Never had a problem with volume or farting though. For power I was using an SVT2PRO and an SVT7PRO (1000 watts & 4ohms).

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You can't go by the American Ampeg cabs. The LOUD cabs are a whole new ballgame.

And Buster, YOU wouldn't blow a 610HLF with the 4 Pro bridged. The OP will ;)

17. No doubt Brother!! If I am in a situation where I am playing so loud and hard as to blow a cab - I'm packing up my gear and heading home............. :D

I gave up on that screaming loud crap 40 years ago! :smug:

18. Cryptarius

Cryptarius

Jul 6, 2010
    Seattle
    @Jimmy: What exactly does bridging a 4Pro do? Double the possible wattage sent to the cab? Also, can this be used to overdrive the cab?

19. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    If your 6x10 cant keep up then......

1x15 is a poor way to accent it.
    all matching speakers.

If you bought your 6x10 used, somebody might have replaced the speakers with poo poo speakers.

or only blew 1 or 2 and bought cheap mismatched speakers or wired a few factorys out of phase. this will have a huge effect on overall sound.

6x10 aint much louder than 4x10 you need to check your speakers or just find a good used 8x10.
    or add another matching 6x10.

if a 4x10 and 1x15 sounds better than yours i have a feeling the speakers have been changed. pull the grill off
    see if any of the cones have a obvious different appearance than others, and if they are the same pull one out of the bottom so you dont have to disconnect the wires and post a pic of it.

20. Adam Guzzo

Adam Guzzo

Dec 15, 2010
    What are your guitarists using? Maybe they're using a big cab that's very loud? Are they also being overpowered by the drummer?