1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 610 HLF versus Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Djeetn, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Djeetn

Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    Hi all,

Could you guys perhaps give some info concerning both cabinets? I own now an Ampeg SVT 610 HLF Cabinet and I'm really happy with it. Now I have the chance to get a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1200 cabinet (1 x 15 inch speaker + 4 x 10 inch speakers) but before I purchase it I would like to know the pro's and con's (I will sell the Ampeg if I get the Mesa). Thanks all for your advices!!

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    From a technical standpoint, that Mesa is one of the poorest designs out there. From a subjective tone standpoint, the one I played, while loud, had this sort of "wood box" sound to it no amount of knob twisting could get rid of. Farted out in the lows too. The Mesa 610 however has a quite different voice than the Ampeg, wouldn't hurt to give that one a whirl.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I love most all of Mesa's bass gear, but that particular cab is a loser. You're much better off with the 610.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    IME, Mesa's cabinets are good rock 'n roll cabinets, but they aren't extremely detailed. I've never played through that particular Mesa cabinet - as others said, from a pure design point, a 15 and 4x10 in a single box probably isn't going to be the greatest - but I'd personally probably prefer the 6x10 just by being familiar with the general signature sounds of Ampeg and Mesa cabs.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Keep the 610HLF. I say that not as an endorser but as a fan of good sounding cabs, and a nonfan of bad sounding cabs ;)

6. Djeetn

Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    Thank you all very much for the great info and tips. I'll keep my SVT 610 cabinet for sure and let the mesa pass by :).

7. The PH1200 is amazing, and I think it blows the 610hlf out of the water! The way Mesa ports their cabs makes a huge difference and after playing a PH1200 today, I feel addicted to it. I'm actually on the search for a mid size cab, been checking out SWR Goliath SR. and Ampeg 6x10hlf (which is way better than the SWR for lows) and after a long day of driving to craigslists sellers, I stopped by the mesa boogie shop and I am blown away - once again by mesa.

I may be the wrong guy to say this though because I mainly play roots reggae and dub. So most cabs dont hit that 808 hip hop sound I am looking for. The PH1200 does! Also, I work in some R&B and funk bands where I slap and need to do some burpy bass. The PH1200 has a horn and 410's that cover the full spectrum I really need.

I don't know why PH1200 gets such a bad rap here, seems pretty amazing to me.

Peace!

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Powerhouse 1200 sounds great, so long as you don't directly compare it to any of the other Powerhouse cabs. It's engineering by looks, and a bad design. Sure, it sounds good, but there are so many "better" sounding cabs it makes it a poor choice. Not to rag on it too hard, but a 410 and 15 together isn't all it's cracked up to be.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I won't speak for anyone else here, but I've played thru all Mesa's big cabs, and IME the PH1000 and PH1200 don't stand up to the PH610, 810, 412, and 215... Sure, they sound great - *until* you A/B them directly to Mesa's other big cabs, that is - then, their shortcomings become apparant: not as clear voiced, not as many highs or lows, won't produce as much volume, and can be made to fart out - whereas, I've never been able to make any other big Mesa cabs fart out, and I play pretty loud...

I used to own this cab:

IMAG0271.

I currently own these:

IMAG0573.

I have played the PH1000 and 1200 plenty of times, and also the PH412, I feel I'm fairly qualified to offer an opinion on the subject... When I bought my PH610, there was a PH1000 right next to it - I *thought* I wanted the 1000, 'til I tried both out, side by side... It was glaringly obvious that the PH1000 couldn't hang with the PH610...

- georgestrings

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Exactly...

- georgestrings