Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg svt 610.. with what head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Nov 7, 2004.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Another Ampeg question. Just bought an Ampeg svt 610 cab. I had a Carvin setup before and didn't love it. Now I just need some advise on what kind of head to buy. I am pretty poor, so my options are limited. I have done some searches on the cab, but didn't find a whole lot out. The svt4 pro is just too expensive for me. Is it better to stay with an Ampeg head? I used my GK 150 watt amp to practice with. It sounds good, not great. I play mostly hardcore, punk and some laid back gospel. Most of the clubs I have played in have been very small, so I'm not even sure about the wattage I need. The previous owner used an svt3pro and said it was amazing. Thanks Joe

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you gave a price range I'd be able to help you out more, but I'd say either an Ampeg V-4 or else one of the many G-K heads there are. Probably like a 1001RB.

3. I used a borrowed SVT 4-Pro/ SVT 610 rig at our last show. pretty sweet setup. sorry that doesn't help since you've ruled out that head. In that case I'd say go with the SVT 3Pro

4. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Sweet cab.

It definitely is a cab that "opens up" when you throw more power at it, so I'd get as much power as you can afford.

imo, the perfect match for that cab is the Ampeg SVTCL. (Though it is pretty expensive.)

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Get a used SVTCL or SVT-II.

If not, you might want to try a Sansamp RBI and a power amp like a QSC RMX

6. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have that same cab and run it with my Thunderfunk. I can't turn the amp up past noon because then it is just too loud! (and that is coming from me, not some pissy guitar player). :cool:

Lync

7. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I don't know what a Thunderfunk is. I have seen used svt3's on ebay for around $450. I am not much of a gear geek. I don't even know what the sound difference is between tube or solid state is. I know, I just really like a chug-a-chug low clean rumble. If it helps, my guitarist uses an Ampeg 4-10 with a Marshall (200 watt I think) head. What about Mesa Boogie? I would like to spend around $350. Thanks again. Joe