Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-610HLF or SWR Henry 8x8?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by volumefiend, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Ampeg SVT-610HLF

29 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. SWR Henry 8x8

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. Ampeg SVT-610HLF or SWR Henry 8x8?

whats the comparison?

2. The 8x8 has 402 sq in of speaker.

The 6x10 has 471 sq in of speaker.

:D

I've heard both...and the ampeg sounds like an ampeg, when played through an ampeg head. A swr sounds like an swr when played through a swr head. I really can't help in this situation...what are you looking for? Comparison on what? Weight? Color?:confused:

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The 610HLF is my second favorite Ampeg cabinet (after the PR-410HLF). It has mighty low end and sounds really nice...at least in the store...

I've played through a Henry too and didn't find the lows to be that strong.

Just my feelings from in-store auditions...

4. how is the response for the svt-215e?

are the speakers quick? is it muddy?

tell me. post. now!

5. I'd grab two SWR Goliaths 4x10's and stack em. Punchier attack than the big monster.
    And you can use just one for the smaller venues (so as not to freak out the club owner when he see's that big stack!)
    Peace

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i have gigged through both.
    the 8x8 is a bit wierd sounding, the voice of this cab is upper mid-
    which makes it one of the best sounding cabs for fretless i have heard-
    those 8ts respond really quickly, and cut extremely well- right through cymbal wash and guitar skronk. not much fundamental sound in the lows, though. bumping up the low end seemed to only result in distortion.(poor little 8ts)
    the 6x10 is a better all-around cab, imho...better frequency respone, more lows (the sound doesn't ball- up like an 8x10, the frequency-extending ports release all that extra energy)
    and sounds a bit more smooth.
    both are great, but seem to be best suited for different things.
    D.