1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg svt 6x10hlf rebuild

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Afred1980, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Afred1980

Afred1980

Aug 28, 2012
    Hey Folks,
    I have an svt 6x10hlf enclosure. The speakers have been swapped and removed, so I am not sure what is original anymore.

I would like to get some new speakers and make this into a burly 4-ohm cabinet. What do you suggest for replacement speakers and wiring design?

Thanks!

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Below is the speaker you need. It's the OEM replacement for the originals. That cab came wired series/parallel with the 6 ohm speakers to give a total 4 ohm impedance. That's the only way to get that cab to 4 ohms with commercially available speakers and is your best bet as it's the speaker designed to work with that cab's tuning/porting/etc.

http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/p-100275/ampeg-10-6-ohm-speaker-for-svt610hlf-v9-oem

Fliptops website says they don't always have it in stock, if they don't these guys may but they also charge $35 more.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/B-Beta-225W-350W/86-510-06.html

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The wiring is such as to get 3 parallel sets of two speakers, 6 + 6 =12..... 12/3=4 to get to the 4 ohms.

4. FiveOneSix

FiveOneSix

Dec 10, 2013
    :help: i have the same cab...in rough shape. im looking for info on a complete rebuild. has original speakers but 1 buzzes and one does nothing. do they sound repairable or do the need to be replaced? are there any pictures or images showing the wiring? i want to remove all speakers so i can re-tolex (or paint) the cab (will go into a road case).
    that being said, i have watched a bunch of re-tolex vids but the angles on this cab scares me. has anyone done this and can share a tutorial or such? :eyebrow:
    needs a new horn/tweeter as well (or so im told) so any info on that would be helpful as well.

OH! and hello...im Jason from long island N.Y.
    excited to put this rig together. :hyper:

thanks guys. looking forward to coming across all of you in the near future!

~Jason
    Long Island, N.Y.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey Jason. The two speakers sound like they need a reconing. Not a big deal. Tweeters are cheap and easily found, so just replace it. Can't help you with the rest, but if you'd rather not deal with re-tolexing, Duratex is a good way to go and it can be surfaced to look like tolex.

6. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
  7. FiveOneSix

FiveOneSix

Dec 10, 2013
    looks pretty sweet dude! one question, is it true they will match sherwin-williams paint codes? i might go the duratex route but i want a color, not just black. im gonna re-do the white piping either a lime green or baby blue.
    im alllll about custom!

great thread btw, i like the cat hehe

8. FiveOneSix

FiveOneSix

Dec 10, 2013
    oh and where would be a good place to take the speakers to see if they can be re-coned or not? gc or sam ash? or something different?!?!

thanks again guys!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They can be reconed. But instead of your local big box store, I recommend www.speakerrepair.com . Orange County Speaker in LA. Great place, reasonable prices.

10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

Duratex is the next best thing to sliced bread. I use it for all kinds of things, most recently as a (white) coating on exposed ductwork in a finished basement. I don't think I would use it as a bedliner, but then again, it might work for that, too. I'm pretty sure they make colors for an extra cost. I was thinking about it for another project, but that project didn't get going so I never asked.

11. FiveOneSix

FiveOneSix

Dec 10, 2013
    THANK YOU JIMMY M!!!
    i have some paint ideas so i think im just gonna paint it. it'll be in a road case most of the time but for big shows i can carefully pull it out and show the custom paint job. was never fond of tolex to begin with, just seemed like "its what youre supposed to do".
    great info all around though guys. much appreciated!

now if i can only learn how to wire this thing properly...

12. FiveOneSix

FiveOneSix

Dec 10, 2013
    any one have a drawing, diagram, schematics, etc on wiring this thing?
    a buddy has an extra speaker and im gonna buy a new one to replace the 2 shot ones. also, i will be replacing the tweeter. it has the tweeter dial on the back and that scares me to just goi at it.
    i dont wanna just pull all the guts out and rplace it all wrong after paint.
    i was trying to find a tutorial or something anywhere but nothing.
    :help::help::help:

its the hlf classic 610
    =)
    thanks again guys!!!