1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG SVT-7 v's GK 1001rbII for big classic rock sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deputyjk, Apr 9, 2010.

1. GK 1001rb II

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. AMPEG SVT-7

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. deputyjk

deputyjk

Nov 23, 2005
    AMPEG SVT-7 v's GK 1001rbII for big classic rock sound.

Not into slapping etc, just holding down the groove.

2. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    My ears like the GK amps!

3. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Depends on what era of "big rock" sound your looking for, and what kind of tone your going for. Both can do that job well, but it's def an apples to oranges comparison.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    haven't played the 7 pro yet, but haven't heard a bad word yet. and gk's a classic solid state sound that people love and pretty well set the standard in solid state amps for over 30 years. i think either way you'll be ok.

5. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Not to derail, but try the 700rbII instead of the 1001rbII. Not quite as much headroom, but definately a warmer package. I was not thrilled with the 1001 I owned three years ago, and returned it for the 700. I have not regretted it.

BTW, I just picked up a VT pedal...... I'm blown away....... I love it with my flat strung P bass!..... but not quite so much on my round strung jazz. But I guess that's the beauty of a pedal..... Versatility. Just turn it off when you don't want it.

Great rock tone!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    vt = pedal of the future. keep at it with the jazz...there is sweet jazz tone to be had.