1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-8 + Bergantino HT322 + ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DJJazzV, May 30, 2007.

1. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Bushwood Caddy Day: 1:00 to 1:15 Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Anyone have any great suggestions for a small second cabinet, preferably a powerful 2x10 @ 4 ohms?
    Right now, I have a Mesa/Boogie 2x10, 600 watts @ 8 ohms. So far, a good choice seems to be an Avatar 2x10, 500 watts @ 4 ohms instead.

The specs of the SVT-8 are
    1300 watts @ 4 ohm load.
    2500 watts @ 2 ohm load.

Ampeg (Loud) support said a mix of a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cabinet are fine for this head, and would push about 2000 watts. Obviously more then I need with the Berg and Boogie, but I know it's there.

This is all being fed by either a Stingray 5 HH or a Fender Am. Jazz Deluxe V (with new Quarter Pounders being installed today!!!), so that can be taken into consideration as well. The Bergantino loves the low B. I'd like to add another small 4 ohm cabinet to replace the Boogie that won't have any issues with the low B either.

Thanks for any 2nd cabinet replacement suggestions.
    [​IMG]

2. Southern Theory

Southern Theory

May 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Is it safe to run 2000 watts in to a 500 watt and a 600 watt cab?

A Carvin BRX10.2NEO handles 600 watts at 4 ohms, and they're only $430 shipped direct from Carvin.

That's all I can think of right now.

3. Hoss

Hoss

Jan 9, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    I agree with the Southern Theory.
    If you want to use all that Power, you need cabs that can handle it.
    Id recommend two 4 Ohm Cabinets that can handle 1400 Watts RMS each.

For example:

http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_cabinets_db810.htm

600 Watts RMS Powerhandling for a 210 is unbelieveable. As is 1200 Watts for a 410. I cannot think of a single 10" Speaker that can handle 300 Watts RMS seriously for a longer period.

But anyway:
    Id get 2x410s that can "handle" (on the paper at least) 1200 Watts.

That will be two times the 410 with 4 Ohm and unbelievable power rating of 1200 Watts RMS each from carvin. BRX10.4NEO

Or get three more of those 8 Ohm Mesa 210s. Will be heavy then...

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Hang on. The Berg HT322 (rated for 800 watts) is 4 ohms. IMO you should get a smaller 8 ohm cab rated at 400 watts to go with it. It's a better division of labor that way: the larger HT322 will get more power because it's four ohms, the smaller cab (2x10 or whatever) will get less power. And that's great: the larger cab has more speaker area, so it should receive more power.

Wait: you say your Boogie 2x10 is 8 ohms, 600 watts? Perfect! I strongly recommend that you keep it.

If you really need more volume than you've got (and I kinda doubt that!), then go for more speaker area: get a larger 4 ohm cab such as a 4x10.

5. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Bushwood Caddy Day: 1:00 to 1:15 Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thank you all for your advice. Sorry, I forgot to mention the Bergantino HT322 is 800 watts @ 4 ohms. I like the words from Fuzzbass about the "Division of Labor". That makes sense.
    Most gigs really only need the Bergantino, but just in case, I will be prepared.
    My days of dragging giant stacks to gigs are way over.
    Thank you again.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Basing rigs around RMS/thermal ratings is pretty lopsided anyway. Most of the 10" and 12" and maybe even 15" drivers used in bass cabs run out of useful excursion and even mechanical limits well before thermal/RMS anyway, especially if used full range and with no EQ rolloffs in the sub-100 Hz range.

7. Hoss

Hoss

Jan 9, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Has anybody checked if that digital ampeg really pushes 71 Volts at 2 Ohm before it starts to clip?
    Would be interesting...

Because if you look at the svt-4 pro eg (rated 1600watts mono bridged) than you do not need to worry about the power rating of the cabinets anymore. :p

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021