Ampeg SVT-8 PRO and SVT-6 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larzon, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    SVT-8 PRO
    "The new SVT-8Pro features an innovative emulation circuit that
    recreates the signature growl of classic tube-driven SVTs"

"The new SVT-8Pro combines a vintage SVT preamp, complete with two 12AX7 and two 12AU7 tubes, with a powerful 2500-watt switch-mode Class D amplifier, the SVT-8Pro also features a unique power amp emulation circuit that allows users to dial in the signature “growl” of an overdriven tube amp, but at any volume and with varying intensity"

How does it sound compared to the SVT-6 PRO ?

Jerrold knows...
  2. does it still have the limited EQ of the vintage SVT preamp?
  3. I think I'll have to check out the Peg' site.
  4. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Hi Larzon

Can you tell me where you found the information on the 8 Pro ?

5. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hmmm, interesting.
  7. That SVT-8 has some impressive specs as far as wattage.

Anyone own one of these? Any comments?
  8. does that mean the 4 i just bought is only half as good?
  9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    So Ampeg finally updates (changes the look) the opening page, but still neglects to add the new product info.

Nice job. :rollno:
  10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Anybody seen one of these in person? Sounds pretty cool.
  11. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I was looking at it last night... Ampeg basically took their new SVP-CL preamp and added a high power, light weight power section to it. Looks promising. It's listed on the Mus Friend website though not in stock yet. Pricey!!!

12. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    1,300W @ 4 ohms, 2500W @ 2 ohms 25 lbs. List $2,399.00

Eden WT-1205 1,200W @ 4 ohms 26 lbs. List 2,299.00

I think I'd take the Eden. But, interesting.
  13. Aside from the power amp emulation it appears to be much like an SVP-CL preamp mated to a power amp.
  14. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I saw and heard one at NAMM in January. It did sound pretty nice and was loud . but it was in a sound booth area playing through some of the less expensive Ampeg cabs. I have never done and A/B test with another amp.
    There is nothing like the real world to hear the gear. In a band setting that is with other instruments all around. How many of us have tried gear in a store to have it sound great and then get it to a gig and say to yourself, what was I thinking? This aint happenin'.
    The jury is still out on CLASS D power amps for me.. Many folks swear by them
    .. They always sound accurate,nice and pristine but to me, from what I have heard so far many lack the mucho big ballzz that a tube amp or even a well designed power amp like what a Crown Macro or Crest offers..
    Still, I am real interested in the SVT8 and cant wait to try one in a band setting. 2500 watts is alot of power. I just wonder if it is 2500 watts that would sound like 2500 watts of Aguilar full bandwith power which would be killer and stop a Mack Truck or if its 2500 watts at a 1k test tone.
    Overall I kind of like the SVPCL style preamp that the SVT8 has. But I have a 1972 SVT and in A/B tests the SVPCL preamp does not really sound exactly like the 1972. Real Close though. I feel that my SVTII non-pro sounds closer to the 1972 than the SVPCL does.. but that could be my old aging ears too.
    And like I said I only saw it at NAMM in a sound booth, and I was somewhat impessed.

To answer your original question How does it sound compared to the SVT-6 PRO?
    Sorry , I have no idea... But I have tried the SVT6 to a Mesa MP600. And the SVT6 is in a round about way somewhat HI-FI sounding I thought... Where as the SVT8 is somewhat meat and potatos bass...
  15. CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    The SVT 6 does not sound like 1100 watts to my ears.
    I would believe that the 2500 watt rating on the 8 would also
    be hyperbole.
    The 6 does sound good, but not 1100 watts of goodness.
  16. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Ah but too many factors are involved for this to be in any way conclusive. What does 1100 watts sound like? :eyebrow:
  17. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    About as loud as an Aguilar DB750... and that is loud and FULL sounding... like a cannon ball hitting you in the gut
  18. 1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I've compared the SVT-6 and my Ashdown ABM 500 RC EVO II, and the ashdown was louder through the same cab (Aguilar GS112).

Both sounded great tough, but the weight of the SVT 6 was just too much for me.
  19. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Fair enough - my point is that it can't be quantified that the 6-Pro (or any amp for that matter) is "underpowered" or "over-rated". If the speakers used are less sensitive by 3dB, theoretically that will sound like an amp that is half as powerful. Much larger variations in sensitivity than 3dB are on the market. There are many tonal and psychological effects that can cause two amplification rigs to appear louder or "ballsier".

On the other side of the coin, I realize the stretches some manufacturers may use to inflate ratings on amps that otherwise are less powerful (due to limitations of the power supply, usually).

Now that this is derailed, I've heard an SVT 6-Pro through my Schroeder 310212, and it was a great loud amp. It got to *seem* about as loud as my 2-Pro before clipping. Imaginably, 2500 watts from the 8-Pro for those with 2 ohm cabinet setups will be quite the rig.
  20. May I ask where on the Ampeg site you got this info? I don't see it anywhere.