1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg SVT 810e vs. Aguilar GS 412

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    On the grounds of overall tone and versatility, which would you choose, and why?

2. Bob Moulton

Bob Moulton Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    The two cabs couldn't be more different. It really depends what you tone your going for and they type of music you play or plan to play. As far as tweeterless sealed cabs, nothing beats the Bergantino's. I have owned two Ampeg 810E's and will never own one again after owning my NV610. I don't have any personal experience with Aguilar, but you're going to get a different tone out of 12"s and not to metion the tweeter. As far as versatility, the Aguilar will almost certainly give you more.

3. I suggest trying them out and forming your own opinion. We all hears cabs a little differently. In my opinon though, the 412 would be more versatile than the 810e. I had the 810e and ended up trading it in for two cabs that go lower and higher than the 810e. The 810 seems to do one type of sound really well and everything else is sub par. If you like that 810e sound - you are in heaven. If you want more variety, there are many other choices out there.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    aguilar gs412. i have an aguilar amp, so it would match real well. Plus i like the thickness of the 12's and the 3D like tone of the Aguilar GS series.

I'm not a big of the Ampeg "Fridge" 8x10 unless it is paired with a vintage SVT head. Even then, it's a little too much and a little too much mudd.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm not a big fan of the fridge cab - too vague for my taste.

I once had the chance to A / B the 412 Aggie and my boxes which are single 15" JBL K145s.

What was amazing to me was how similar they were. Very close in efficiency & bottom. That Aggie is a very nice box.

6. Scott Lynch

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Some call the DB 750/GS 412 combination "the new SVT". I'd be powering the cab with an AG 500. It makes me wonder if the GS 412 would give me a good ampeg-like punch for when the situation calls for it. Guess I'll have to audition it myself.

Thank you for the replies guys.

7. Scott Lynch

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Gearhead, how do you feel about using ported cabs versus the sealed 810 with your 2 pro?

8. I feel that ported cabs fill out a room much more rapidly than sealed cabs. I can actually feel and hear the notes of my bass when I play fast with a pick or my fingers - In a nut shell, it sounds like I am playing fast. The 810e never gave me the feeling that I was playing fast. I also like the fact that ported cabs give more variety and detail to the bass tone. I get clearer mids, more highs (highs between 2khz-5khz), and way more low end. With the 810e, I always felt like it had one tone to it and nothing else. 810e - Solid lows, thick/smoothe mids, rounded highs. Plus, I actually like the tweeter on the 410hlf and I feel it really adds to my 5 string's tone.

810e was definitely loud, but ultimately it did not have enough variety tone wise. It does one sound really well and if you have to have "this" sound, this is the cab to go for. Not a bad cab, just not for me

I love the sound of my 2 PRO with my ported SVT 410hlf cabs. I can make the 410's sound very similar to the 810e - but with much better tone. I can get the thunderous, growly punch without much hassel. The only real issue I have is that 2 410hlf's together can get extremely bassy - just a couple of knob turns and you are fine. One 410hlf on it's own is plenty loud with a tube amp.

Lastly, one 410hlf is not hard to carry compared to an 810e. 2 people is all you need. Plus, I can take one 410hlf to practices and 2 for shows - rather than lugging that 810e!