Ampeg SVT AV & 810 Cab - Volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pshep68, Dec 10, 2016.

1. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    I have a question about my Ampeg SVT AV & 810 Cab... I've played a few gigs with it now and I am wondering if I am getting the volume that I should. My gain is about between 9 & 10 and my master volume is usually between 9 & 10. EQing is as follows... mid - 10, treble - 2, frequency - 2 and bass is 11. The two volumes on my jazz are on max and the tone/treble is a little over half/. I'm standing about 4 to 5 feet in front of the rig. It's a brand spanking new cab. Any thoughts?

2. kranahan

kranahan Professional Velcro Applicator Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Is it not loud enough for you?

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Turn down the bass. Turn down the gain. Turn up the mid frequency, mid level, and the master. Then get a fEARful, haha. ;)

4. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Not quite. I'd assume that at those settings would be almost too loud.

5. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Could the power tubes be failing?

6. kranahan

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Is it loud enough when you noon all of the knobs?

7. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    I haven't had the gain past 9 or the bass at noon. I have done quite a bit of research as to "suggested" settings, It seems as though most people never apply a lot of gain. It's mostly max master volume and gain as a volume control. Could this be an answer?

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. kranahan

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    That's how a lot of people run their Ampeg tube amps, myself included. We do it for the power tube saturation and convenience of one volume control via the gain knob.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Honestly, don't continue researching settings on the SVT. Your playing style and gear is really going to dictate your settings. Were you referring to 9 or 10 o'clock for the knobs? If so, crank them up! Follow what kranahan said.

kranahan likes this.
  10. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

When I set up mine in a new room or actually any room, I leave the tones all at noon and then go from there, if I need a little more bottom I add it sparingly, little more mids the same, etc. I use 70's heads and cabs so all there is is a gain control, the master is at full all the time because they don't have a master. A master volume is really just a volume control for the power amp section same as on a PA power amp. Bass amps don't need master volumes unless you want to try and overdrive the preamp tubes. Most people leave them set at full for that reason.

JJR58 likes this.
  11. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Yea, are you citing the 0~10 on the dial, or o'clock numbers?

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    ^ what he asked. If you have the volume up to 9, you are 4 feet in front of your amp, and your ears aren't bleeding, something is very very wrong.

spaz21387 likes this.
  13. kranahan

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    He's referring to o'clock numbers.

14. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    We won't know if he's still alive until he replies. :jawdrop:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  15. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I run master volume all the way up and control volume with the gain knob in my SVT 2 pro. Plenty of volume on tap and my band isn't quiet. My V4B is a late 70s with just a volume knob it's also loud but doesn't stay clear nearly as loud.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Problem solved then. At those gain and master settings, its barely warmed up.

BlacknWhite likes this.
  17. kranahan

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Exactly!

18. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have an av and love it. check to see if the low and high switches are on... those kill your volume... also i suggest cranking the master up all the way and using the gain to control your volume

BlacknWhite likes this.
  19. Good God when I had an Ampeg 810 i would run it with my PF350 head and I could shake the pictures off the wall at home!!!!!!!!! :bassist::hyper:drool

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Pshep, a couple months from now, you're going to check out this thread and laugh your head off! Now turn those dials!

Here's how you tell if your amp isn't working right...turn the master all the way up, and turn gain up to 11:00. On a bass that has the output of a passive Fender, it should be clean up to 11:00. And it should be darn close to blowing your head off.