1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT AV head and AV 6-10 for $1,400 - deal or no deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lpbfender, Mar 28, 2015.

1. lpbfender

lpbfender

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    HI I just saw a pretty clean looking Ampeg SVT AV head and 6-10 AV cabinet for sale at $1,400. Seller says he is th eorginila owner and only has 45 hours on the head. Is this a good combination and deal or something to avoid? I know about the weight - mainly for use in my studio. Head says Made in USA St Louis Music era.

Any comments, as always, are appreciated!

2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Sorry, but you have to be supporting member for those questions...

3. lpbfender

lpbfender

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    Ok didn't know. I actually just saw this setup on cl and I wasn't sure if there are performance issues etc.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Check out completed listings on ebay and the price ranges on reverb.com for current market pricing. I will say if that's $1400 for the head and cab it's either a motivated seller or an amp in need of some servicing.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    A US-made VR head is pretty "grabable", they ain't making no more of those.

No opinion on the cab; design specs suggest it's like the 410HLF rumble monster which I don't dig, while field reports say it gets pretty close to straight-up sealed 8x10 sound, which is always awesome.

6. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    I'd be all other it if I were in the market. There's nothing "special" about the AV besides cosmetics, but man oh man, do they look good!

7. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    compared to an SVT classic?

it's night and day man!

the classic sounds good, but the VR sounds like an actual old SVT. the preamps are quite different.

8. If the head has no obvious issues , 45 hours is not a big deal. My SVT cl has about 90 on it and is still going strong with no problems at all and no bias problems. Since I don't have to push it very hard , I expect to get a lot more hours out of it before needing any service.
    I've played through both an 8 10 ( my current cab) and a 6 10. I didn't notice a big difference between them. The 6 10 was a little lower than the 8 10 but nothing that was hard to deal with.
    If it's a clean sound you are after , it's a sweet rig but if you want any dirt out of it you are going to have to be pushing it pretty hard and be really loud to get that with a rig that size.
    I've played with some guys that were pretty loud ( two Marshall half stacks) and the SVT and 6 10 had no problem keeping up with them.
    Since neither of us are supporting members ( I would love to be but I have a kid in college right now and I'm so broke from that I can't even pay attention) I can't discuss what I think the value of that deal is. I believe I can state what I paid for my rig since that does not involve any speculation. Two years ago I paid $1500 for my SVT cl and an 8 10. As to whether or not that was a good deal , you will have to draw your own conclusions.

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    An AV (anniversary) model is a CL (classic) with silver cloth, separate from the VR vintage reissue).

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT-AV, not VR. AV is a Classic in VR clothing. And I'll take a CL any day of the week despite owning a 69 SVT ;)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Field reports are correct, BTW ;)

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Nah, mods no longer enforce that unless you are asking about something you are selling. It is fine to ask "what's it worth" as long as your buying (or make the post appear as such.)

SVT-AV with a 610 is on the high end of acceptable at $1,400. I would be going lower but if you really want the rig, that isn't terrible. Have you tried an Ampeg 610 before? Some folks love them but I find them to be thoroughly unimpressive.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Id go for it at 1400. You would pay like 1700 for just the head if you bought new. Its almost like you are getting a free cab...

14. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    doh.
    yeah, i was thinking the actual vintage reissue with the two channels and all that.
    that surprises me; the classics all sound like good powerful tube amps, but the few times i've played through a VR, memories of my long-lost magnavox-era head came rushing back, it wasn't the same at all.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, I hear you. Don't get me wrong...I have zero complaints about my 69 or the VR's I've used as rentals. Superb amps and I'm glad to see them being made that way again. But the reason I like the CL so much nowadays is twofold...turn the master up and use gain to control volume and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between that and a vintage or VR, and if I want a little tube compression or overdrive, I can turn up the gain knob and get the preamp tube working. Got to admit that #2 rarely happens but it's nice to have if I need it.

16. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    Except you take the risk of bad tubes or a trip to the repair shop in the near future. I would say $1,200 and then save the $200 for the next set of power tubes. Then you're covered for a few years.