1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT AV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluesbass99, Oct 12, 2010.

1. bluesbass99

bluesbass99

Jun 14, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Just a quick one for those Ampeg owners. I've been looking for a VR, but came across a mint condition AV that was made in the U.S. Low mileage and looks new. I know the AV was an anniversary model which is no longer made and it is basically from what I've been able to read here, is essentially a CL model.

Tonally, is that much difference in the sound between the AV and VR? I will be using it with an Ampeg 810 cab. Any idea of the difference in value between the AV & VRs and whether the VR is worth the additional 20 or 30% (or whatever it is)? Thanks.

2. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    I own a SVT Classic AV (exactly the same model as the CL except the silver cloth and the color of the metalpanel).

There is a little difference between the CL and the VR. But...when i turn the master volume to the max on the CL and adjust the volume with the gain, i cannot hear any difference!
    My ears (and spine) tell me that maybe that's how the Vr is wired internally...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i think the differences between the vr and cl get exaggerated a bit, quite honestly, but i do favor the non-master versions of the svt over the gain/master versions. there's just something a little less constrictive sounding with the vr.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021