1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT cabinet plans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.Bassie720, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Hello fellow bassheads,

I have a good friend who owns a cabinet shop and I wanted to get him to build me a 8x10 SVT style cabinet.I have done a search but came up empty.Does anyone know where I can find drawings/schematics to build such a beast?

thanks

2. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    you may find someone who did some independent measuring . ampeg hasnt published the specs on the cab , for a reason ... find a friend with a 810 and do some measurements ...

3. Yep, what the above poster said! They are pretty tight guarded about the design of their 810. I would be too. They are the best cabs going around for ock bassist atm

4. Most well known cab, wouldnt say best ;)

+1 to what other people have said. Take some measurements. The inside is split into 4 seperate chambers (i think)

5. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks for the responses. You guys are right. This is a well kept secret indeed. I have tried all over the net but no luck yet. What interest me in particular is the concept that each pair of speakers are isolated from each other.Are all SVT 8x10 built using this concept? I guess if all else fails I will try my hand at reverse engineering.

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  7. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    LMAO!! You got me good Masher!!

8. Joth

Joth

Apr 22, 2007
  9. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Joth, you rule!! This is a huge help and the source of my fascination with the SVT design.Thank you much.:)

10. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Why would you have one built when you can buy a used one any day of the week for $600... sometimes less? Seems like a lot of work/trouble for relatively little payoff.

11. Hi.

PM okabass, he's a member here.

Regards
    Sam

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's no "best-kept secret". Anyone with a measuring tape and access to an Ampeg 810 can build an equivalent enclosure. Even approximate dimensions would do, however. Substitute drivers will be a little tougher to entirely duplicate.

One could also shave some pounds by cutting holes in the separators without sacrificing any structural integrity, if done correctly. Those panels mainly act like bracing. This might sound a trifle different depending on whether the original sample is liberally stuffed with absorptives or not. If not, those panels are also reflecting a lot of gak back into the cones.

13. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005