ampeg svt capacitor question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by notforrobots, Jan 23, 2009.

1. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal

Attached Files:

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The one you found "looks" more sturdy and you can tie two contacts together for more current handling on the contacts (built in backup).

3. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    Ok I didn't realize that it had a backup inside.
    I think I'll go look at those in person and choose the one that seems the most solid.

I might do the repair this week if I feel like it, I don't play with my amp in the meantime just to be safe.

4. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    I bought the switch today, it's a GC Electronic, on off DPDT switch, 20A 125V, it was the one that looked the more solid to me at the store.

It has 6 connection on it, 3 on one side and 3 on the other side.
    My actual switch has 2 connection on each side instead of 3 but it has the hole for the third connection.

There's not much writtin on the switches so my question is, do I just solder the new switch the same way the old switch was soldered?
    That's the only thing I can think of, because like I said there's no indication on the switch.

Attached Files:

5. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    I just finished installing it, it works, I even have less hum than I used to, the signal seems to be clearer, I didn't expect that at all, I'm pretty happy with the result.

The only problem is that I installed it on the wrong side which means that standby is actually on and on is standbye.
    I'll repair that soon but at least it works now.

6. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    Ok I reversed it.
    I soldered the wires to the same pin on the switch but the other way around.

When I fired it up it gave me the same kind of random pop I had with the other switch.
    Then I turned the standby off and on again and the pops were gones...

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I've reopended the head and re-soldered the switch but the other way around and I've tighten up the jack connectors and it seems to work now.
    It still gives me a little bit of noise when I turn it on but it seems to disapear after a couple of seconds.
    Maybe I have a tube that is going bad slowly...or it might be bad power from the outlet, I don't know, maybe it's just me being paranoid about it too lol.

7. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    I went to the filptops site and I saw that they have a new SVT Cap Kit V.2 which now cost 94$ instead of 56$ for the first kit they had.

Anybody knows the difference?
    Why is it more expensive, if it's that much better it would suck cause I recapped mine with the "old kit" a couple months ago only.

8. Hoss

Hoss

Jan 9, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Dont worry.
    I cant see anything better in the new kit except of an easier installation. Thats all.

9. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    That's what I thought, I think there's a new resistance to the kit but unless it really is that better I don't see myself spending 40$ more just for that!