1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT CL + 810E Over Compression

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bajistaman, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Hi everyone!, I just bought a brand new Ampeg SVT CL (Ampeg: Classic Series - SVT-CL) and 810E (Ampeg: Classic Series - SVT-810E) and while using it in my last rehearsal I found that the sound was very compressed, I used to play with a MarkBass Little Mark and that amp was a lot more flexible with the dynamics of my playing (I hit the strings hard), I tried different combinations with the gain and master without any improvement.

Any ideas if this is something related to this model or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Johann

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The least compressed it will sound is by putting the master up all the way and using gain to control volume. The more gain you use, the more compressed it will sound. I used to have an LMII, and while it was a good amp, I've played my SVT and LMII on a gig, alternating them between sets, and I thought my SVT sounded less compressed when running clean.

There is also a possibility that if diming the master and using gain to control volume doesn't work, that you got a bad tube in there somewhere. But things like that are hard to say for sure without actually being there to hear what's going on. So try the master thing first and get back to us.

Sartori likes this.
  3. OK Johann, you’ve had five hours what was the result of our Jimmy’s suggestion? :D

Gearhead17 and JimmyM like this.
  4. Hi, I have tested Jimmy suggestion not sure that it helped, been using my 3 basses and still feels like is killing my dynamics, tonight will try using my Tone Hammer Pedal to drive the power section only (Return) and see if it changes anything for the better. Will get back to you.

Thanks,

Johann

5. Well, going direct to the power section made everything sound as expected, no unwanted compression, now I need to really control my dynamics!
    So it must have something to do with the pre amp section (as Jimmy suggested), wondering if it is a fault or something expected with these SVT CL heads?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I still think it may be a bum tube.

7. Should I take it to the doc?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well like I said, things like that are tough to diagnose without being there. Do you have a spare 12ax7 and 12au7 you can swap out one at a time? Might save you some money to try that first, but it definitely doesn't sound correct to me so it might be a good idea to get a second opinion.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Also, calling Ampeg CS is highly recommended since the tubes have a 90 day warranty.

Sartori likes this.
  10. Yesterday I tested all again using the gain and master at the same level and the 0db input instead of the -15db and I got a very decent sound, will keep on trying different combinations and in case of any issues will call the Ampeg CS before my 30 days are due.

Thanks a lot for your help!

JimmyM likes this.
  11. Never use the -15db input.

bajistaman, BassmanPaul and wcriley like this.