Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT cl and roscoe help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 11Bravo, Jan 26, 2006.

1. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I just got my new svt cl in and cant find the sound I want.I was wondering if anyone can help?I play the head thru a ampeg 810e and a roscoe lg-3005 with all barts in it with the 3 ban eq upgrade.
    I'm looking for a deep cranky sound with highs and mid that sound tight.I play hardcore music and just cant find the sound.
    Can you help me!!!!!!!

2. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I'm also looking to buy a CL or 2Pro soon. Is it true that it's really hard to get the mids and highs out of that amp? Supposedly, the bottom end and warmth factor are through the roof, but you gotta work for the rest. Have you found this to be true at all? Thanks...

3. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Not in my experience. The cl has strong mids (hence the growl) and produces the clearest highs of any amp I've used, bright and glassy but not at all harsh or shrill. I'm always confused by comments that the cl is inherently muddy or overly warm. Depends on the rest of your gear and your approach I guess.

Sorry normajean12 can't help, I wouldn't know a good hardcore sound if it bit me, not my genre. Only suggestion I can offer is to make sure you understand how the mids controls work, they're quite powerful. Also be aware that the deep switch doesn't just add bass it cuts mids (a lot!).

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Strings?

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    GK?

6. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Get a Fender.

7. Do you play in Norma Jean? Great band.

Like el_Kabong hinted at, i'd stay away from the Ultra low switch. It scoops out a ton of mids and trades off a lot of that focused low-mid presence and growl for the full round low end. You can get those kind of lows without the ultra low in, but you'll need to resort to some pretty extreme settings on the bass knob.

I dial the SVT-CL in without the ultra low NOT engaged, and i'll have the bass up quite a bit to compensate. I set the mid selector to either 1 or 2 (220Hz or 450Hz, respectively) and boost it up a tad to taste.

I also roll the treble knob down a bit, as I like a dark tone that doesn't fight with the guitars and prefer to cut into the mix with nice focused low mids and a little bit of upper mid attack as opposed to occupying a lot of highs. The tone circuit in the SVT is a passive Baxandall circuit, which means that rolling the treble or bass off will accentuate mids. Setting them high will do the opposite. By setting the EQ like I do, I create a sort of 'downhill slope', and use the mid knob to boost up the low mids I like to hear.

Hope that helps. If you still can't get the sound you want, i'd just spend some time learning how that mid circuit works. It's VERYa powerful tool when shaping the sound. Don't be afraid to use it to CUT mid frequencies, as opposed to boosting them. I've used it to cut out some of the clanky high mids, and been able to EQ a great sound with the treble and bass knobs.

Just spend some time with it. It's not quite a s simple as it looks from the knobs on the front panel. ;)

-Nick

8. BTW, another good trick is just diming the master volume out and inching the 'gain' knob up to the volume you need. This is essentially what the old SVT's were like, as they had no master volume. Turning it on 10 is as close as you can get to defeating it.

Check out the manual, it may be helpful:
    http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/SVT-CL.PDF

-Nick

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    you'll get there. my tip is to crank the master volume, which gets the power tubes hot. then adjust the overall level with the input gain. a fresh set of strings helps too

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    HEY you beat me to it!:D

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1.

try messing with the 5-way mid selector switch. You might have to put it at 4 or 5 to get the right amount of mid and high frequency that you want.