Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg svt-cl bypass preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Oct 27, 2003.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to bypass the pre-amp section in an ampeg svt-cl, I know it is common to use the loop, but there isn't the normal send/return in this amp, but there seems to be some other functions that might do the trick...:meh:

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Preamp Out/Power Amp In is basically your effects loop. Plug an external preamp into the Power Amp In jack.

This bypasses ALL the controls on the front panel, including the Master Volume. This is the equivalent of setting the Master to 10. So make sure you have your preamp turned all the way down when you power it up.

I'm pretty sure this is the only way you can bypass the SVT-CL's preamp.

3. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Thanks, how would you think it would sound when running a different pre-amp like the Aguilar db680 or maybe a demeter direct into an Ampeg SVT-cl power amp?

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Monkfill is right on. Plug your preamp output into the SVT power amp in jack. I tried this once with my raven labs blender which I use for a preamp in my solid state rig. I couldnt turn it up too loud b/c I live in an apartment but the sound at lower volume was much clearer and distinct then straight into the SVT. I like to do this when I practice at lower volumes but I have yet to try it out at a gig (doubt that I would) My thought is that its overkill. The SVT is enough amp for me as it is! :cool:

5. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    thanks for the reply, I agree that the ampeg is enough amp as it is. But sometimes I need a strong clean signal and instead of buying a whole new amp I thought that it might be better just changing the pre-amp section. what would you regard as the pros/cons of doing this compared to buying another setup?

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    More stuff to carry would be a con but if you are already carrying around the SVT + cab then another 15lb preamp wont make much difference. Try different preamps if you go this route. Solid state will give you cleaner tone but from what I hear the Demeter preamp is a very clean sounding tube design. I have only tried this with the raven pre which is solid state but it definitely sounded cleaner (at lower volumes)