1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG SVT CL CHINA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lalo, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lalo

Lalo

Sep 11, 2003
    San Antonio Texas
    anyone knows how the Chinesse Ampeg svt classic sounds like? how is the quality? is it much better than the Viet? do not say "Best one is USA" i allready know but want to know from the Viet and Chi is better, I would figure it should now be improved, hope to hear from you guys that have either this equipment or at least has tried both.....:bassist:

2. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    It's like choosing to hang or drown. Neither. Sorry but ... Best one is USA.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd hate to drown. OP, try it, see what you think.

4. :rollno: didn't he ask NOT to reply w/ that......:help:

I dunno, hope someone soon chimes in with some info 4 us ALL!

5. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    i don't give this thread long. i would love to give my total and complete views on ampeg and its management and how the products are built, but i've already been warned before.

just go try one for yourself.

but just saying, i would purchase a broken US one anyday over a working viet or china one.

6. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    I agree, I would buy a broken USA before a Chinese one. I can't believe their not USA anymore!

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it doesn't surprise anymore me that alot of people on this forum think the USA built ampegs are better than the Vietnam ones, however, IMO they haven't a clue as to what they're talking about (some people consider hearsay as fact), and i believe that most of the naysayers don't own either a USA or a VN one.

being an amp tech for the last 30 years, i currently own three SVT's, a '69, a '75 and a 2007 SVT-VR (yes, its made in vietnam) and i think that it is easily as great sounding as my two vintage ones. over the years, i've owned a dozen SVT's and after making sure that they're running to spec, i loved all of them. My vietnam SVT's internals has all of the same SLM components as my friend's USA SVT-VR does, so i believe that they are the exact same amp, just assembled in another country that (unfortunately) shows a little more care on the assembly line.

i had a Vietnam-made SVT410HLF and currently have a USA SVT610HLF and a USA SVT810AV, and i'm sorry to say it, but the Vietnam cab was built with better materials and had a much better fit and finish than the two from the good 'ol USA.

i have not seen or heard one that was made in china yet, but as long as its the same amp, it wouldn't matter at all to me.

i have been a die-hard Ampeg fan since the late 60's and although i would prefer that they were still made in the US (mostly because of tradition), to me, if an amp is good, it doesn't matter where it was made.

8. If they (Ampeg) want to sell them her in the US, & get the kind of $$$ they charge for those things, then they ought to make them here. No reason not to (except good old fashioned GREED!) the reputation Ampeg earned over the last several decades was for US made craftsmanship, not some pretender put together by slave labor in the 3rd world.

It kills me that they have the gall to charge 2K for a head made in China or Vietnam and somehow, someway Carvin can build a great bass head...here in the US...for a fraction of the Ampeg price.

Loud is in financial trouble. Serves 'em right...

9. I TOTALLY agree re the keeping the Co.'s in the country(there are PLENTY of AUS co.'s that've been taken over by US companies!!!!)- but I too think the product should be judged on it's merit not hearsay.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, and i agree with alot of what you have to say, but Carvin doesn't make a 300 watt 100% tube head, and they sell direct so i really think that's apples/oranges..........Peavey might be a better example (not my cup of tea though). on the other hand, as far as solid state heads go, i thought that my Genz-Benz GBE600 is a pretty great head. its very well made (off shore) and, looking inside of it, i think its built better, more reliable and sounded as good or better than my USA made Eden WT550B (also a decent amp). in the past, i would prefer to buy products made in the USA (if not just for tradition's sake). i was always the last person to recommend buying an amp built offshore, but that was a long time ago and i'm old :atoz: . nowadays, i just base my opinion on the product itself and not where its made.

11. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I own an Ampeg SVT-CL (made in USA, bought new in 2K1), and can testify to it being a great amp all around. Tone-wise, I prefer it to the other two "vintage" SVT's I once owned. Construction-wise, other than the sloppy solder joints a tech cleaned up, it's top notch. Mile for mile, it's the most dependable amp I've ever owned.

Now, in a perfect world, everything would evolve as an improvement over it's predecessor. Unfortunately, some can't accept such evolution even when it's obvious (that the overseas CL may actually be equal/superior to USA). And some can't admit failure at their own expense (when they paid too much for a POS import). I'm sure there are great Vietnamese/Chinese made CL's out there, just as there are shoddy USA produced ones as well.

The only true answer will lie within your own experience. Don't worry about where it's made, but rather how well it's made. That said, I'd come more near buying a USA model sight-unseen...

12. I have an all-tube Fender Bassman 100; I don't really see what the big deal is about all-tube, other than you take out a 2nd mortgage when it's time to re-tube. (and a 300 watter would be that much worse!) I have never owned an Ampeg because, as long as I've been playing (and that dates back to the 60's) Ampeg has always been priced: 1: sky high or 2: plain overpriced. I've played through them, & never understood the hype. Don't get me wrong, they sound ok, but the kind of money they get for "ok", well, I don't spend premium $$$ for "ok".

...And their solid state stuff, or hybrid stuff (compared to my Carvin R1000) is quite high, also...

13. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    johnk_10 wrote:

I tried a new Ampeg SVT in Sam Ash and thought it sounded really good myself. :bag:

But I understand the emotion and passion about the current Ampeg ownership as well.

14. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Last I knew, the SVT-CL was made in either Vietnam (at first) or Korea (now). Same for the other SVT prefix units........

Were some made in china also?

if they are made right, with good parts, no reason they wouldn't be right. Those might be big assumptions however......

I would almost believe anything...... Loud seems to be acting like they are now trying to actually get it happening right, but after Jamie "canadian bacon" Engen, it wouldn't take much to look better.

15. There's very little we (Americans, not just bass players) have a choice with, regarding electronic components; most everything is now produced overseas. If you know people who, for no other reason than corporate profit$, had their jobs shipped to Mexico or Asia, you might be more inclined to support mfr's who still produce their products here.

Bass amps is 1 of the few categories where we still have a choice, & I intend to exercise that choice by buying domestically produced equipment.

As I stated earlier, Loud is in financial trouble. While it would be sad to see a music icon like Ampeg disappear, it will do my heart glad to see the Loud exec's join the people Ampeg laid off when they moved production overseas in the unemployment line...

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Thanks to all you that just had to muck up the OP's thread. :scowl:

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.