1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-CL Fan Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzman, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    My old 1998-ish SVT-CL has the fan intake on the front - i.e. the fan draws air in through the grille, acting like a filter.

I noticed my 2007 SVT-CL has the fan exhaust through the grille - the opposite of the 90's model.

When was this change made? What is the purpose of this change? Does it provide better cooling?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'm not sure, but it kinda sounds like your (2007) fan is wired backwards.

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Can anyone with a recent SVT confirm that? This one was made in early 2007 (in the USA).

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I reversed the leads on the fan and it still spins the same direction, and the leads appear to be straight taps of the PT. If it is backwards, it is a mechanical problem (the fan was screwed in backwards), but the leads look as if they intentionally exit towards the grille (stress reliefe).

Nobody has a recent SVT-CL who can tell me if the fan pulls air in or out of the head?

5. JC Dillon

JC Dillon

Feb 22, 2007
    Central Fla.
    My 06 pulls in air through the front. I have to clean the dust off of the grill every month or so to keep it clean.

6. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I do hate that.
    Looks nasty.

7. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    My 2004ish svt-cl pushed the air out the front.

8. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the info guys. I noticed the fan itself has "AIR FLOW ->" marked on it, so I am assuming it was deliberate.

9. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Unless the fan itself was installed backwards.

Asad

10. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    I have an 06' SVT-CL the fan pushes air out the front. As someone said it probably keeps the front grill cloth from developing a dirt ring.

I do find the fan a bit noisey at low volume levels.

JB

11. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    My concern is that pushing it out the front, the grille will eventually clog and inhibit the air flow (years?). If the dust gathers on the front of the grille, you can remove it once it builds up.

I noticed the inside of my '07 is all dusty after just a few months of use...I would rather have that dust on the grille than the components. ;)

12. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I don't think that the dust will hurt much, just blow it out with compressed air every year or so.

It is amazing how much stuff an amp will collect while playing in a smoky bar.

13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I actually don't remember. It has been a while since I thought about it or paid attention. I THINK it blows air in/thru, which would be OUT the front.

I saw this thread earlier, but have not dug around yet to see if I have an assembly drawing for that model.

In actual fact, it probably matters very little which way it goes.

14. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the input Jerrold. BTW, I was reading The Story Behind the sound today, and noticed your name mentioned...pretty cool, man.

15. Hoss

Hoss

Jan 9, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Thats interesting. I didnt recognise that. :oops: On which Page is Jerrold mentioned?
    Thanks,
    Hoss

16. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    P. 255 where they talk about the VH series amps.