1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT CL gain vs. volume question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Provolone, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Joe Provolone

Joe Provolone

Jan 2, 2015
    Montreal
    Hi
    I was playing with my volume and gain knobs on my SVT CL and I set the gain at max and raised the volume to about 9pm, then, in an effort to hear a difference, I set the gain at 9pm and the volume at the max. I heard almost no difference in the tone. I checked out a Dino M. Video where he also does this on a SVT heritage model and he gets a nice warm overdrive with the gain at max and a clean sound with the volume at the max. Basically I'm wondering if this is normal or if there's something off with my Ampeg.

Any input, advice, guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When you crank the gain, you add compression and overdrive. The amount of overdrive is different depending on the output of your bass, but you should be able to hear a little compression. It's subtle but noticeable.

3. Joe Provolone

Joe Provolone

Jan 2, 2015
    Montreal
    Yes indeed, its a very subtle difference. I was just a bit disappointed when I saw Dino M. Get such a different sound from teach eq setup. You're probably right though... I'll try my PBass (i was using a MIJ Jazz bass) and do the same test, see if there won't be a more noticeable difference.

4. Make sure the volume on the P bass is set to full. That should get you to drive land

5. Joe Provolone

Joe Provolone

Jan 2, 2015
    Montreal
    Hi and thanks for the replies. I plugged in my PBass and cranked the gain to the max and my volume on the bass to the max and it just will not overdrive.
    I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't get the amp checked or something. I don't know... Maybe the previous owner changed the tubes or whatever. I guess I'll have to use my tc electronics vintage bass distortion pedal but it just doesn't sound the same.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    On the bright side, preamp overdrive is a lot easier to imitate with SS than power tube overdrive ;)

Some basses aren't hot enough to trigger overdrive in the preamp, true. For example, my Precision with the Geezer P will get a tiny bit of grind when I crank the gain, but won't do "full on blow your face off distortion," as Dino from Ampeg puts it, but my P Lyte with much hotter EMG actives lights it up pretty good. You can use an overdrive pedal, but you can also use a clean boost to get your signal hotter. Me, I just use pedals so I can switch from clean to dirty, but if you really want to get that preamp tube lit, boosting your signal is the way to go.

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It would be worth having your amp checked.

Check that the correct tubes are in the right positions. For instance, there may be a 12ax7 where there should be a 12au7. Another possibility is a weak tube.

8. Are you using the padded active input?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Should mention that my previous reply just now was based on the idea that your amp is working fine and you're not using the active input ;)

CL400Peavey likes this.
  10. Joe Provolone

Joe Provolone

Jan 2, 2015
    Montreal
    I'm using the passive input. :)