AMPEG SVT CL questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iceblinko, Aug 8, 2005.

1. iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    hey all. i have two questions regarding this amp.
    1: i have the eq settings set just the way i like, but i'm not sure about the gain and master volume. i'm always messing around with them, and don't know where they should be in relevance to each other. any suggestions?
    2: my amp gets REALLY hot when playing. we practice in a room with no a.c., so maybe that has something to do with it. this is my first time with a tube amp, so i'm not really used to this. also.. twice while after a long practice session, i put it on standby to let it cool off before shutting it down.. however, it shut down on it's own! i don't know if that means it overheated or something. i'm confused.

anyway.. help in either of these departments would be greatly appreciated! thanks all..
  2. 2. thats probably the protection kicking in, these things run hot, i know mine does, i dont put it into standby because standby does not make it "Cool off" at all, standby is used to heat the tubes, so a clean shut off (just go straight to off from being on) is better, as it means the filter caps last longer

1. its all in the ear of the beholder, if you have highish gain pre tubes, then turning the gain all the way up then attenuating the master volume will give you a gritter sound id think, dont have a gain control on my SVT tho, so im not sure
  3. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Well it does depend what you like hear. I always run mine with the master on 10 and gain to suit. Just sounds cleaner, punchier and plain better to me that way.
  4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Tubes get hot..... did I mention that tubes get hot?

If the amp shuts off, it may be sensing a tube fault. That is what the protection is for.... it detects over-current in a tube or group of tubes, usually due to a tube problem or a loose tube socket, and shuts down to avoid damage. if teh tube or socket, or maybe internal loose connection "fixes itself" when it cools down, then it will come on again and stay on for a while.

There are other possible causes, sometimes a strong radio signal close by can fool the protection.

If it is an older SVT-CL, it may have a protection circuit problem, which is fixable with one part.... there is a service bulletin on that.

Possible tube problem (6550s)
    possible loose connection in tube socket etc.
    possible wierd external cause
    possible service bulletin issue if an older unit.
  5. i didnt know about a protection circuit issue with the CL's. was it the same circuit that was used in the early 2-Pro 's ?
  6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Checking the list, I find that a few CLs made in early 1999 have a service bulletin covering tube socket solder joints.
    Serials TCLWL10001 thru TCLWL10025
    Also TCLDL10001 thru TCLDL10050
    TCLDL30001 thru TCLDL30055
    TCLDL40001 thru TCLDL10030

And some may have a protection problem, although I would have thought they were all fixed by now.
    Serials before TCLDJ10011, or export models before TCLJJ10001, TCLWJ10001

Either of those possibilities could affect the problem. All those units have gone off warranty by now since they are from 1997 and 1999.
  7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    I've always put it on standby before shutting down as well...thought I also read here that is the best.

Guess I should just shut off w/o standby...

Jerrold - any thoughts?
  8. i may be getting it completelly wrong, but im sure thats what PBG said

< possibly completelly wrong >