1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT - CL Serial Number Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mustangpride00, Jan 18, 2018.

1. mustangpride00

mustangpride00

Jan 18, 2018
    Hi Guys,

I am new to TB and was hoping someone here could help? I am considering buying a used Ampeg SVT - CL, however, I am having an issue identifying the serial number year it was made.

The serial is: BJND800153

This is an SLM amp and made in the USA. The 4th digit represents that it is domestic made, but the 5th digit is supposed to be the year it was made. A=1988,B=1989,etc...

I emailed ampeg and they provided me with this information which I already knew. I was wondering if anyone has a similar experience and knows what year this was made?

Thanks in advance for the help, I look forward to participating in more of these forums in the future!!

2. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Hope this helps

Screenshot_2018-01-18-14-53-12.

mustangpride00 likes this.
  3. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Something doesn't look right, both SVP-PROS I have have 5 letters as does my SVP-CL.

4. Get a magnifying glass and look again . My bet is that 8 is really an S. Had the same thing happen to me. Let us know. I think an S is a 2006.

5. mustangpride00

mustangpride00

Jan 18, 2018
    I think you guys are right! I received similar insight that this 8 might actually be an S!

I called the music shop a couple times to have them confirm, both times they told me its an 8 but I think they just need to look harder :)

I appreciate everyone chiming in on this! I am going to buy the amp and will update once I get my hands on it.

Hope you all have a good night!

- Jason

6. mustangpride00

mustangpride00

Jan 18, 2018
    Agreed, it would not follow the normal standardization of the serial numbers of the SLM era.

7. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    It's a great preamp. I love mine.

8. My SVT Cl head has the same numbers (letters) BJNDS........I had to look really hard to see that it was an S and not an 8. It sure looks like an 8 until you really get up close to it. Even with a set of 1.5 reading glasses ,it still looks like an 8 until you really study it.

9. mustangpride00

mustangpride00

Jan 18, 2018
    Ahhh that’s great info! Sounds like they made it real small. I will make sure to take a good solid look at it once it comes in.

I agree with yours having the same serial beginning, it is most likely an S.

Thanks for the reply!

10. mustangpride00

mustangpride00

Jan 18, 2018
    You guys are awesome, I picked up the amp today and the 8 was actually an S. It looks very similar to an 8 the way it was scribed on the back, had to look close myself to double check,

Thanks again for all the input!!! I’m going to put this thing through some work!

Attached Files: