Ampeg SVT-CL taking a long time to warm up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andykeating, Jan 21, 2019.

1. andykeating

andykeating

Oct 5, 2016
    Manchester
    I've got an Ampeg SVT-CL which seems to be taking a long time to heat up and get up to full volume. About 20 minutes. Scouring other threads, this seems a long time and I don't know if something is amiss with my amp. Once the valves get warmed up its absolutely fine.

We rehearse a couple of times a week in a room in an old mill which in between sessions gets very cold. The room heats up when we get the heaters on, but I'm wondering whether this could have something to do with the amp taking a long time to warm up, or whether its something I should be concerned about.

Any help and suggestions much appreciated... :)

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Your amp should be able to produce it’s full power after less than a minute. I suggest you get it looked at by a tech conversant with tube amps. It could be a simple relatively cheap problem to put right.

You could try an experiment of taking the amp home with you and thus it would be warm when you rehearse next time. See if it makes any difference. We’re below -30C here today!! LOL

Bim1959, okcrum, andykeating and 2 others like this.
  3. andykeating

andykeating

Oct 5, 2016
    Manchester
    That’s what I’m thinking. Where we used to rehearse was never as cold and I don’t remember the amp taking so long to get up to full power. Not convinced it was a minute but it was definitely quicker.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I'm not clear on what you mean by "heats up and gets to full volume".

The amp takes at leat 20 minutes in playing mode, standby off, to reach a point where it's thermally stable. This means that component values will not drift and the amp will sound like it should. Up to that point, it should still work and be capable of loud volumes.

If the volume level is way low till it heats up, then you have some sort of intermittent issue. IF there is static when the amp is not heated enough, again, there is the possibility of an intermittent issue. The first thing to try is to patch an instrument cable from the pre-out to the power amp in.

It would be better to heat the room before turning on the amp. This will allow the amp to com up to temperature slowly. Thermal shock is not good. It would help if you covered the head with a blanket or some sort of insulation when you are not using the ampo and the room is going to be cold.

andykeating and BassmanPaul like this.
  5. andykeating

andykeating

Oct 5, 2016
    Manchester
    Thabks. I have one of those padded Ampeg covers for the head to stop it getting quite as cold.

And yeah, the volume level is low until it heats up, so I’ll probably get it checked out. I’ve got a show next Wednesday so doubtful I’ll have time before then, but then the next outing isn’t until 28th Feb, so I’ll get it looked at before then. Hopefully nothing major.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021