Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT CL thru Ampeg 410 HLF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greendayjustin, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Would I be sending too much power to an Ampeg 410 HLF if I were to run my SVT classic thru it?

Thanks, Justin

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm far from an expert on tubes... but I know my Ampeg stuff, and I think the RMS on the SVT410 is 400.

Based on what most people have said about tube power.... the 410 would survive, but could easily be blown away if you overdid it. I think you'll get by, as long as your smart about it. I'd add another cab in the future though, or upgrade to a larger cab now, if you felt like it. 610 or 810 maybe.... if you wanted to stick with Ampeg.

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You could but most of the time the answer is no. If you are getting close to blowing the cab you will know it. Your ears will tell you...

I had the same combination and one time I was worried about the garage I was playing in coming apart before I thought the drivers would die. :D

4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I did this once. I knew it was too much power for the cab, but didnt really have a choice. I had it run a little louder than I would have otherwise liked, I needed the volume for the gig. Not 5 minutes into it I blew a driver out and had to finish the song with a farting noise coming out of one of my 10's. I was forced to get an extra monitor and use a second monitor from the monitor mix as my bass amp.

5. What did you have the volume at?

6. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I dont remember the exact setting, but too much and I knew it when I did it. The cabinet might be rated for 400 watts, but tube watts are alot louder, the 275 watt SVT-CL made quick work of the cabinet.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah... for that head, I'd think you'd want a cab (if you only wanted to use one cab) rated at like... 600-1000 RMS. But again... your risk factor could be liquidated with the aquisition of another cab. Till then... just be careful. If you have to settle for less volume at a gig, it might be worth taking the hit that one time.

8. I think the 410 HLF is rated at 500 to 1000. I'm going up to college and want a smaller cab. I already have a 610 which i plan on selling. Maybe only another 610 will do.

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The current SVT 410 HLF speakers are 500 watts RMS. The SVT-CL may hit 500 watts peak. Truly I couldnt imagine a situation where those kind of SPLs are needed but as renfield said it can happen. Dont forget that a cranked SVT can make quick work of any speaker... 810s included.

A side note... the 410 HLF is one of the deepest sounding 410 speakers Ive ever heard. Put it next to the ubiquitous 810 and you quickly realize how much more low end the 410 HLF has (or how little the 810 has) That may or may not suit your needs however.

10. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I would second the opinion of just being on the carefull side.
    watch the volume. i played my SVT through a G-K 4-10 for awhile and thought I was always on the verge of falling off the side of a cliff. I now have an Ampeg 8-10 and all is right in the land of tone...I swear the combo of tubes and a 8-10 will make my nose bleed. :eek: Btw, I loved at low volumes the sound of the G-K cab. But I needed more juice.

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Which 610 are you using?

12. Ampeg 610 HLF

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I would definately use the 610, and keep it around... that is, unless you plan on upgrading to an 810 in the near future. You could also add another cab to the 410... but I doubt it would give you the tone of the 810.

14. I'm using a SWR Goliath Sr. (6X10) and I'm looking for something smaller for my Ampeg SVT Classic...

which one do you guys recommend??? :confused:

15. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Epifani Ultralight???

It really depends on the quality, price, and tone your looking for. For lighter weight cabs, land an Ultralight. I totally would love to get my hands on one of those.

610 Ultralight: 1500RMS, 4ohms :eek: and only 82lbs

Might be a weird combination with a CL.... but hey! I dont see a rulebook anywhere.

16. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've own the 410HLF and the 610hlf and an Ampeg SVT-CL, both cabs can easily work with the ampeg SVT-Cl....The 610HLF would be my choice if it has to be Ampeg cabs...otherwise I would reccommend Bergantino NV-series....The NV610 is superior to the 610HLF in any way!

17. I've heard great reviews of the Bergantino cabs, i would definitely check them out.

ruly. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: