1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg svt cl vs a vintage 1970 svt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pghjeeper, Jul 22, 2012.

1. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    In my quest to go back to tube amps I have been looking for an svt. I found an svt-cl, non Vietnam and a 1970 svt. The price for the classic is 699.00 and the price for the original svt will be around 800, we are still working this out. The original svt is in great shape and sounds awsome. My question are:
    1.) is there a sound differance
    2.) is the original svt worth spending the extra on
    3.) knowing that its 42 years old is the original svt gonna put me in the poor house? Lol

2. punkrocko

punkrocko

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) No
    4) Let me know where you found a '70 SVT for around 800.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. Bassoballs

Bassoballs

Nov 14, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Agreed! If you can get a 70 SVT for that price I'd suggest you grab it.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The price on the CL is pretty good, too. I like them both a lot, but I'm more into the non-master volume SVT's. And neither of them will put you into the poorhouse any more than the other. Caps and tubes wear out and need changed occasionally. But only replace tubes when they're broken and don't buy into the annual retubing nonsense, and that'll help keep the prices down.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    $800? That's a insane price.
    At $1500 for the pair I'd be all over them both.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Those are both bargain bin prices... cannot go wrong... and annual re-tubing? That is nuts... I re-tubed my SVT-CL once and didn't intend to do it again for at least 5 years... especially since it cost me $400 in tubes alone... it is not a poor mans amplifier.

7. 1970 SVT for $800.???? GET THAT SUCKER NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    You absolutely, without doubt, no questions asked, do NOT want that 1970 SVT. You do, however, want to give me all the contact information for the seller, and I'll set him straight on correct pricing for that amp (mostly by buying it from him, then showing him what he could have gotten).

bobyoung53 likes this.
  9. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    The difference between the vintage SVT vs. the CL is like comparing Megan Fox to Rosie O'Donnell. Go with the vintage SVT even if it means shelling out a few bucks to get her singing.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Who's Megan Fox? Oh, I remember...that talentless hot chick who shot her career in the foot by running her yap ;)

Nah, not a good comparison at all, Joe, sorry. More like Megan Fox and Megan Fox's slightly less hot friend who isn't all stuck up like Megan Fox.

11. JOE EDO

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Jimmy I bow to your age induced knowledge of bass amps and women. Where were you when I married my first wife and purchased an SWR 750X? Stupid kid I was I tell ya!

12. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    The owner of the vintage svt decided not to sell it.

13. Bassoballs

Bassoballs

Nov 14, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Well said, and I completely agree.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I will never get how someone can play both of those amps and call one Megan Fox and the other Rosie O'Donnell. I know some do, but I don't get it. I'd rather have a CL behind me than any other amp on the market except a non-master SVT.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  15. Well Jimmy, different strokes? :)

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's my whole point...it's not different strokes, but a slight variation of the same stroke.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  17. JOE EDO

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Guys..don't get me wrong here. Both amps are popular for a reason just like Megan and Rosie. Each appeals to a certain audience and are loved for various reasons. If I had my choice in relation to the OP, I would take the vintage SVT. Looks like the owner has reconsidered selling anyway. I guess a man can get attached to an amplifier for "personal" reasons.

Be well,

JR

18. AmericanFenderJazzMan

AmericanFenderJazzMan Guest

Jan 24, 2016
    hahaha..now that was funny Jimmy !!

JimmyM likes this.
  19. I just read through another damned zombie thread resurrected by a guy who joined on my 70th birthday! Grrrrr!!!

Now I’m more grumpy than ever! :(

bobyoung53 likes this.
  20. I've got to start checking the dates more often.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    BassmanPaul likes this.